Author Topic: need mig welder help  (Read 3573 times)

Offline 777884chevy

need mig welder help
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm going to replace the rockers and cab corners on my 84 gmc 2500. Would the el cheapo gasless mig welder that wal-mart carries be adequate for this job? I don't want to spend big bucks on one that I won't use too awful often but yet I want to do it myself. How about cutting the old one's off would a dremel with cutting wheels work or what do you guys suggest. Again I don't want to spend big bucks. I'm not looking for a concours restoration look when it's done but would like it to look pretty good for a first time amateur. Thanks

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: need mig welder help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »
My opinion. (1) Gasless mig welders are not worth a crap, they are good for nothing. (2) You say you won't use a welder very often, once you own on you will use it allot. As far as cuting the old ones off an air powered cut off tool / wizzer wheel works good. I don't think a dremel tool has the speed or the torque to be very efficent.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 777884chevy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
I think I'll check out ebay for a used gas mig. Maybe I can find a good deal.

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
You might try weldmart.com. They have new and refurb'd welders.  I think a Lincoln SP-175 would be a nice choice, but they cost a bit - @ $600 at Lowes

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

ccb

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Well I went cheap many years ago and got one made from china, for around 250.00 buck thats when the 115v units first came out and a new one cost about 800.00 900.00 bucks. Now it was ok for tacking and small welding jobs. But it was not good for continual welding, it would over heat. I think you need to pick up a new one. A used one is just that and you have know Idea how well it will work. If this is a one time deal, they rent them at Home Depot.
I got my Hobart at Harbor Freight when it went on sale for 400.00 bucks. Also check the welding supply they some times sell units that failed and are recondioned. you can test them out before you buy it to make sure it works. Just don't use the flux core wire if you have not welded that much. its a lot harder if don't have the experince.

Craig  

Offline 79bigten

mig welder
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »
I wouldn't buy anything unless it was a miller or a lincoln.
They cost more but i think you will just waste your money if you get a cheap one.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: mig welder
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »
I have a Craftsman 110 and it works good I paid around 4450 for it quite a few years ago. I also have a 220 Snap On that I bought used it works great I paid $675 for it. A buddy of mine has  a 220 Esab that thing is a cadilac.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
Which leads to a 2nd discussion- if you need to run wiring for the welder, and you SHOULD have it on a dedicated circuit, run #10 wire, not #12.(jmo)

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
have you looked in your paper? I bought a used lincoln 100 HD from guy near me for $75.At home depot- this welder sells for around $339.and you can upgrade it from flux core wire to using gas-which will cost more money. i've been using this welder to teach myself to weld.

Offline 777884chevy

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »
doctrdoo that sounds pretty cool but yes I have been watching the papers. I found a mig welder the brand name is farm hand I do believe and Tractor Supply Company sells it. It is supposed to be built by Hobart but I am not sure. It's only $260, but I keep spending my money on other things like other sheet metal for my trucks.