Author Topic: Brought my high school 78 bonanza back to life  (Read 13536 times)

Offline redhot1.4

Brought my high school 78 bonanza back to life
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »
Hello everyone.  I decided to get my 1978 chevrolet big 10 bonanza package single cab lwb running and reliable again.aka oleblue.  It sat for 6 or 7yrs. I have had this truck since I was 15.  I started this old beast up again because I was tired of making car payments , this old truck has been paid for the last 16 yrs lol.
1st time I drove it to work 7 mpg
Next thing I did was ordered a big box of parts.  New tires & shocks   New Edelbrock Performer intake manifold new Edelbrock Performer carburetor new h.e.i performance distributor new wires &plugs. All new fluids & filters including the old th350 the same tranny since I bought it.
My MPG best have been 11.4
Here's a. Picture before I started

New tires and shocks

Engine compartment before new parts

Some new parts

Hopefully I get my ujoints put in on my day tomorrow there pretty bad
Then I'll start my heater core job, that's about all I've done in the past 2 months

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Brought my high school 78 bonanza back to life
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »
Very nice tire/wheel combo.  I like that it fills the wheel wells without being too big!!!  Great stance
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »
Very nice tire/wheel combo.  I like that it fills the wheel wells without being too big!!!  Great stance
I 100% agree with this, I was going to say the same thing.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
Thanks yall. I can not remember the last time I bought 16 inch tires wow, those are a like finding gold. Very hard

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »
Love the mirrors, nice and small and sporty. How does she run with the new edelbrock intake and carb?
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:00:28 PM »
Love the mirrors, nice and small and sporty. How does she run with the new edelbrock intake and carb?
Thanks. I like the mirrors, but I will be replacing them. They are useless on a truck tho. The truck has never ran better. Very clean and smooth   The last edelbrock carburetor I bought was a winner. It held up well over 8 or 9 yrs . I bought a new 1 because I bought a new intake. And my last 1 was rebuilt a few yrs ago

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Brought my high school 78 bonanza back to life
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:03 PM »
Glad to hear its running well. Are you switching to the dumbo mirrors? Oh, sorry..a few folks dont like that term.  And those reading this know i'm joking.

Anyway, i also have a bonanza. 77 c-10. Hang onto it, not many around.

I have always wanted the small sport mirrors, but am sticking with the "below eye line" (dumbo).

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:25:58 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
Glad to hear its running well. Are you switching to the dumbo mirrors? Oh, sorry..a few folks dont like that term.  And those reading this know i'm joking.

Anyway, i also have a bonanza. 77 c-10. Hang onto it, not many around.

I have always wanted the small sport mirrors, but am sticking with the "below eye line" (dumbo).

Yes I'm all for the dumbo mirrors lol
I'm looking forward to getting my heater working asap. The Texan does not like cold weather. . I know it needs a heater core. But I need to figure out why it won't blow air. It won't come on or anything.  You know anything about that?

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 08:18:36 AM »
I just replaced my heater core. If you dont have a/c its super easy. As far as blower, check fuse first, see if your getting power to the b. motor. If so then bad blower motor. Also easy to change out.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »
Well I finally got around to do the carrier bearing and U joints, holly cow . It was a heck of a job by myself . I took the carrier bearing to the shop were my dad could cut it off . That was the original carrier bearing it wasn't coming off. Putting the 2 piece back together was a nightmare
Idk why but it was. He some pics
Next project is the heater core

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »

There wasn't much left of the middle ujoint or carrier bearing

Offline 79 Royal Sierra

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
I love that blue truck bud. I just bought my 79 c15 a few months ago from my dad, then he goes and buys a real nice 82 c10 lwb this week, I mean cherry, for fricking $400, what a deal. I like the simple yet very nice approach that you have bud. I know what you mean on tires, I live in the country and it is dang near impossible to find 15s for my truck. Keep up the good work, and God Bless

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
I love that blue truck bud. I just bought my 79 c15 a few months ago from my dad, then he goes and buys a real nice 82 c10 lwb this week, I mean cherry, for fricking $400, what a deal. I like the simple yet very nice approach that you have bud. I know what you mean on tires, I live in the country and it is dang near impossible to find 15s for my truck. Keep up the good work, and God Bless
Thanks man

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
I will be starting the heater core job Monday wish me luck guys