Author Topic: Best way to get bed bolts out?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline 777884chevy

Best way to get bed bolts out?
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
I am going to be taking the old bed off of my 84 gmc this weekend. I have sprayed all the bed bolts with wd-40 every day this week to get them good and soaked.

I live in the rust belt. Do these bolts usually just snap in two? Should I have a torch on hand and just torch them off or do they usually just come off fairly easy?

Thanks for any input.

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: Best way to get bed bolts out?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
I live in Ontario and have removed them without them breaking.Do you have a nice  size 1/2" drive ratchet? If not put a pce. of pipe over a 3/8 drive ratchet for extra pull.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
I have gotton some out before with an 1/2" impact, but if they are real crusty I don't even bother I just whack them with the blue wrench.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
i just replaced all of my bed bolts in my 85 C-10. the best way i found was that if they were real rusty i just used a sawzall(reciprocating saw) with a metal blade. seems that would be better than using a torch around fuel line. unless the truck is stripped down.

Offline 777884chevy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
gonna change it tonight with a nice rust free 75 bed.

Here's something I've learned though. I have some brand new aftermarket bedsides I got from   truck. They were something like $800 for both and shipped. And they are made in taiwan I can't remember what brand though dang it.

I am making a rust free trailer out of an old bed and painting it to match my gmc. Well I got the old bedsides from the trailer unbolted today and man those gm pieces, although very rusted out, are way heavier than the aftermarket ones.

And not surprising the aftermarket pieces are not fitting right, one is wanting to buckle in a spot when trying to get it to fit right, and the taillight curve does not match the tail lights.

so anyways it was a waste of money for those and stay away from them if you can. Good thing they are just for a trailer and I'll make them work.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
Tack weld the head to the floor and hit it with an impact.  If they are bad rusted (together), it will round out the squared slot that it sits in...

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project