Author Topic: Which is more valuable, my '86 step side stock, or lightly modified?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Timberwolf

Hi Guys, the subject asks it all.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Which is more valuable, my '86 step side stock, or lightly modified?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
Depends is the best answer I could come up with.  At least with stock you know what you have.  Not every ones mods enhance that said value.  I could come up with a dozen examples if pressed, ranging from lowering to a camshaft change that makes the truck a dog because nothing else is taken in consideration.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
Lots of variables here.
I sure would hate to modify/change a $30k Barret Jackson quality vehicle.
On the flip side, some nice tires & wheels can really dress up a well worn stock truck.
What are your plans?

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
stock, rust free, original trucks are the hardest too find as almost all of them have had something done to them over the years, so based on that fact and that prices on squares seem to be on the way up i would say original is more valuable to the collector but it depends on why the person is looking for the truck if they're after a Sunday driver or a working truck
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »
Based on the fact that the majority of the "modified" trucks you find really means an imbecile ruined it, I would say stock. Unless tastefully modified I would suggest leaving it stock if your intent is resale. Even doing high quality modifications you rarely get a return on investment.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Timberwolf

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:32:10 PM »
Depends is the best answer I could come up with.  At least with stock you know what you have.  Not every ones mods enhance that said value.  I could come up with a dozen examples if pressed, ranging from lowering to a camshaft change that makes the truck a dog because nothing else is taken in consideration.

I'm just considering a mild cam from a 350, porting the heads and a set of headers and dual exhaust. I'll be straightening the body and painting it.  It came with the rally wheels with trim rings and centers

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:23:01 PM »
those motor mods shouldnt really effect the value maybe a little up but like vile said you wont get that back in return. when you start trimming fenders for bigger tires or cutting the dash for a tv or radio system or even jacking a truck up or slamming it those could hurt the selling price unless thats what they (the buyer) wanted. for example i been looking at a 2011 dirtymax crew cab they want 33k for it. blue book is 30k, ok so 3k for the lift and tires but im not looking for a lifted truck im looking for a stock truck cause when i use it and want to put something in the bed i dont want to lift it 10" higher than i have to. so to me the lift and tires hurt the value and i would have to take them off to use the truck the way i want to so i have to pass. and apparently im not the only one who feels this way. the truck has been on the market for 75 days
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline North Central Ohio

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »
I agree w big al. Seems like they've all had "something" done to them over the yrs. Myself,personally,id pay more for a stock one cause they're gettin harder and harder to find. That's one of the reasons mines all stock,for the most part. What isnt,i plan on tryin to rectify those issues so it will be. But,i guess it all depends on the "customer base" you try to find also.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
even with my cummins swap crew cab its pretty much stock. most things i had to do (trim the firewall and move the trans back) can be fix will little to no effort. the hardest part will be finding a new driveshaft, which is why i think i collect them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Timberwolf

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
In the case at hand I have to do the truck in steps. I have looked it over pretty much and have no interest in any real mods other than a change to a 350 from the 305. She needs a little here and there sheet metal wise, but nothing too much really. The paint will be non-original, but leaning toward GM style hood striping on its base coat.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Which is more valuable, my '86 step side stock, or lightly modified?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
Always factory stock!

- mr. original (lol)

But, i've been told GM did not always install the best parts for our trucks while they were on the assembly line. I'm learning to bend a little.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:17:01 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
If you are going to spend the money on removing the old heads and having them worked, I have another suggestion.     You can buy the L31 GM crate engine for about $2100 and you will have a brand new GM 350 long block with Vortec heads and a roller cam.    GM sells this as a replacement for engines in newer trucks, but it bolts right into a square body truck.

All your current accessories will bolt on to the L31 long block, and about all you need to change is the flex plate (for the newer 1 piece seal), use a Vortec intake, and add an electric fuel pump.    It is a relatively quick swap, since you don't need to send anything out for machine work.   And when you get done, you will still have a GM 350 SBC in your truck, and the only obvious modification will be the swap to an electric fuel pump.

Bruce