Author Topic: Pitting under molding and trim holes  (Read 2433 times)

Offline justin71105

Pitting under molding and trim holes
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
I pulled all the molding down the center of my truck off a few months ago and there was rust and pitting on the doors underneath it.  I just wire wheeled it to bare metal and sprayed it with some primer at the time. It is in the middle of the door and runs the entire length, the pitting is not too bad, mostly just the paint color I used is not exact match and shows exactly were the tape for the molding used to be.

I want to try and get the pitting repaired best I can do it myself, the plan was to sand it down to bare metal fill with something and primer and paint.  I was just going to use bondo and sand until level then primer/paint.  I read you can also use jb weld to keep the rust from returning, not really a paint/body guy but I would like to get it looking decent again on my off days.

Also I removed the chrome trim around the tops of my doors and would like to fill in the holes the screws left behind,  Could these just be jb welded and sanded or is their a better wa I could do at home.  I do not have a welder but can borrow a mig welder from a friend if I needed to.

1964 C10

Offline justin71105

Re: Pitting under molding and trim holes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
Right now its a 15/15 truck -- 15 mph at 15 ft and it looks......decent.  Its not ever going to be a show truck just want it to look decent until I can get real paint/body work done in a couple years.  Other than were the molding was the paint is ok for 30 yrs olds other than cab corners and driver side quarter panel.

After looking at it some more I may just sand primer and paint it, then let a professional do the body/paint in a few years and go back the factory black on it.  Nothing extravagant just good bodywork and a paint job that will shine up like it does now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:28:09 PM by justin71105 »
1964 C10

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
If I can't remove all the rust by grinding or sandblasting I would use a rust converter on those areas, prep and just paint over it.

I've never heard of using "JB Weld" for body work, I'm pretty sure it would work but it's the most expensive way to fix it unless they have started making bigger tubes.

Your truck looks fine, it's 30 years old, it's going to have some character at this point. With it being a single stage, non metallic color, I honestly think you could really make it look great doing touch up work with spray cans, then wet sand and buff it. Just tackle one area at a time, take your time, sand everything out, light thin coats of paint. The prep is the key.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline justin71105

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:05:51 PM »
I did sand and wire wheel all tbe rust off today and just spray painted it, goong to wet sand and polish then wax tomorrow.  Hopefully it will turn out better than if looked before, just hope it blends well.

As long as it doesnt look worse I'll be happy hahah.

1964 C10

Offline justin71105

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
Used the wrong paint....finally found the old can i first used on it - Rustoleum automotive gloss enamel black.

Sanded it back down and painted again using rustoleum gloss black.  Going to wet sand and buff to see how it comes out.

1964 C10

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:13 PM »
I've never tried using Rustoleum and I question if it's going to work or not. I would try Duplicolor or another automotive paint, I think they are lacquers and can take a buffing a little better
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce