Author Topic: 350 rebuild  (Read 6512 times)

Offline vjfelix55

350 rebuild
« on: May 03, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
Alright everybody after enough being disappointed by how my 81 K20 was running I decided it was time for a rebuild on my 350. This is gonna give me  a chance to fix clean and paint everything that needs those things. I'm not looking to build a high end 350 that puts out a ton of hp, just a reliable 350 that I can use as a daily. This is my first time rebuilding a motor but I'm pretty confident in my skills.

I've already stripped everything off the block, disconnected the tranny and everything holding the dang thing to the truck except motor mounts. The block will be coming out sometime within the next couple days and in the meantime I figured why not ask the experts and people who've done this before for some advice!

I'm gonna be using this thread to show my progress with the rebuild and ask any questions I may have. Here's what pictures I've got so far:

I placed most bolts back in the holes they came out of for now so I don't lose them but I'll eventually get some bags and label them accordingly.

The transmission is disconnected and will also be dropped and cleaned thoroughly (especially around the t-case)

So here's the question I've got so far: What parts/brands should I get to build an extremely reliable 350. Any parts you guys can think of. Any help is greatly appreciated and I will continue to update this thread with my progress.

Thanks everyone 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 350 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
Have fun with it.

Start putting a spreadsheet together using summits website. It will make for a good tracking sheet and record for your build. Summit stands behind their products and are good to deal with. Trust I've dealt with other lousy distributors and summit will price match.

I would hold off on brand loyalty and speak in specifics about specific parts you are questioning. For example, Edelbrock is a good brand however they do not make all of their own parts so an Edelbrock camshaft might be good but their shock absorbers not so much. Mic everything up and record your measurements so you order the right parts. Maybe post your build sheet and then ask for opinions.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
Have fun with it.

Start putting a spreadsheet together using summits website. It will make for a good tracking sheet and record for your build. Summit stands behind their products and are good to deal with. Trust I've dealt with other lousy distributors and summit will price match.

I would hold off on brand loyalty and speak in specifics about specific parts you are questioning. For example, Edelbrock is a good brand however they do not make all of their own parts so an Edelbrock camshaft might be good but their shock absorbers not so much. Mic everything up and record your measurements so you order the right parts. Maybe post your build sheet and then ask for opinions.
Thanks a lot really looking forward to this, really gonna start my career in the mechanics field. I'll see what happens when the motor comes out thanks again 😁

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:19:55 PM »
Ok guys I got my hoist ready to pull the engine probably tomorrow or Wednesday then its disassembly time and machining but I've come to my first big question!

Should I buy a rebuild kit (gaskets, bearings, rings etc) or get specific brand gaskets, bearings, piston rings (if so which ones?) And buy them all separately, or what would you guys recommend? Btw I'm sticking with the stock bore. Thanks again!

Also this is the brand new hoist from a friend he only used once to put a 302 in his 67 mustang, I was concerned it wouldn't lift high enough and a friend told me "why dont you deflate your front tires?" It was pure genius

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »

If you haven't done so already, remove the oil pressure sender and brass fitting from the top of the engine behind the rear China wall, before attempting to remove the motor.  This will ensure the fitting doesn't break off accidentally (a common occurrence). 

Don't buy any parts until after you tear it down for inspection and measurements to determine the engine's state of wear and whether any machine shop work will be necessary.  That way you procure the parts you actually need in a cost effective manner and avoid unnecessary delays waiting to exchange stuff you can't use.  Take plenty of pictures as you progress to help with reassembly.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline srozell

• Registered Users
    • My 1980 Chevy
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »
When I pulled mine 350 with a standard el-cheapo hoist I had lots of clearance.

I put it back in with the transmission in place, and removed the tires entirely, and lowered the front axle onto wooden blocks to maximize clearance. Again I had lots of room. I found the added benefit of raising the truck to the engine after everything cleared allowed for some nice maneuvering.
1980 K20 "Camper Special"
1969 K20 Step Side
http://myuglytruck.wordpress.com/

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 04:35:56 AM »

Don't buy any parts until after you tear it down for inspection and measurements to determine the engine's state of wear and whether any machine shop work will be necessary.  That way you procure the parts you actually need in a cost effective manner and avoid unnecessary delays waiting to exchange stuff you can't use.  Take plenty of pictures as you progress to help with reassembly.

X2, you don't want a rebuild kit with standard cylinders and find that a cylinder wall is scored up bad enough that your rebuild will be for nothing.

I would just plain bring the bare block and heads to a machine shop that does engine work, and have them go through them. Same with the crankshaft if you plan on reusing it. I consider this the hardest part of the build-making sure the base is rebuildable, something I would have more experienced hands look at for a first rebuild. And don't be afraid to ask them what they did and why, a good machine shop will be completely honest, and not do more then needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »
Hey everyone update for today!

Its out!!

I finally got it out 😅 and am currently disassembling the motor and have made some interesting discoveries

1: my flex plate was cracked in THREE SPOTS

2: I have a 4 bolt main
 Here's some pictures for today

Will continue to update
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:49:55 PM by vjfelix55 »

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »
a good habit to be in is to tape off or shove a CLEAN rag into any open ports on the engine to prevent debris or critters from making their way in and making a mess, much more important on the reassembly but still a good habit to be in.e
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »
First off, I order all my engine parts from Competition Products....they have a huge selection and cheapest prices. I like Jegs too, and Jegs will price match, but CP has a wider selection.

I like Clevite 77 or King bearings. Usually buy Hastings rings, although I really want to try some of the "total seal" rings. I like Felpro gaskets and particularly like the PN: 1003 head gaskets. If you're going back with a Hyd flat tapper cam, I'd go with a direct lube cam kit from competition products....I believed they're Howard's or Elgin brand? Anyway they guarantee the cam kit for Luke 5 years.

A tip I've learned, is if you install your own cam bearings (or tell the shop) I like to install mine at the 3:00 postition. Your bearings wear most from 3:00-9:00 because of all the down forces. Well your cam spins clockwise (looking at front) so if they're installed to spec at 6:00  (dead bottom) the oil won't Elantra to spread to the drivers side as well. If you install the bearings at 3:00 then the oil naturally wants to run down hill and it'll be getting pulled that way due to cam rotation anyway.

Also the rear freeze plug behind the cam, doesn't need to go in until it hits the came bearing. This forces the cam forward and also causes the plug to wear. I've pulled apart at least two engines that almost totally wore through the rear plug because of that.

Use quality assembly lube and clean everything well with something like Wd-40, to get all the dirt/grit from honing out of there. It also helps things not to flash rust.

Again these are my opinions, but it has all worked for me. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:19:49 AM by bd »
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011
86 Chevy K20 Custom Deluxe-Grandpa bought it new 11/20/85
77 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe-Dad's first truck
69 Chevy C30 flatbed-Grandpa's farm truck
1950 International L-112-Grandpa bought it new, parked in 1963

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
Also, measure everything a couple times. Get a mic/caliper and some Plasti-gauge. The firsts motor I ever built, I read the mic wrong and ruining the bearings. Also I like the permatex ultra's for sealants. It doesn't stink like the regular and the untra supposedly has better oil resistance. Use rubber gaskets when available.  And if you need a new oil pan, Moroso has been the highest quality I've used. I got a factory replacement Zinc coated one. It was awesome. Has a better oil drain bung/plug so you can actually drain every drop and even had a magnetic plug with copper washer. It had the flattest, most true fit of any I've used.
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Also, measure everything a couple times. Get a mic/caliper and some Plasti-gauge. The firsts motor I ever built, I read the mic wrong and ruining the bearings. Also I like the permatex ultra's for sealants. It doesn't stink like the regular and the untra supposedly has better oil resistance. Use rubber gaskets when available.  And if you need a new oil pan, Moroso has been the highest quality I've used. I got a factory replacement Zinc coated one. It was awesome. Has a better oil drain bung/plug so you can actually drain every drop and even had a magnetic plug with copper washer. It had the flattest, most true fit of any I've used.
Thanks for all the tips it helps a lot 😁  Some thing's I did want to pick up were a MSD distributor, I was probably gonna get a new can but not sure yet which one but I'll check out the one you recommended. I wanted to get a new holley 770 street avenger carb but that'll probably have to wait haha.

I usually do use jegs but I'm open to any reliable parts so I'll be sure to check out these other shops. Well today I'm taking heads off and can hopefully finish disassembly. I have to borrow all the specialty tools from a friend because all my tools got stolen a while back :/ but ya thanks again everyone and happy wrenching!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:22:41 AM by bd »

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »
I usually use Jegs too....they price match anything and it gets to my door next day, since I live in southern Ohio. BUT competition products has a way bigger engine parts selection and they're they only ones I've seen carry the direct lube cam kits with the warranty. The engine parts Catania about an inch thick. Anytime I'm placing an entire parts order, they're who I use. Anything else, I use Jegs. You definitely do not want to re-use a cam or lifters. It's almost mandatory to replace them, if they've got any mileage on them at all.
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
I usually use Jegs too....they price match anything and it gets to my door next day, since I live in southern Ohio. BUT competition products has a way bigger engine parts selection and they're they only ones I've seen carry the direct lube cam kits with the warranty. The engine parts Catania about an inch thick. Anytime I'm placing an entire parts order, they're who I use. Anything else, I use Jegs. You definitely do not want to re-use a cam or lifters. It's almost mandatory to replace them, if they've got any mileage on them at all.
Its funny you say that because I just got about 6 lifters out, they're all kinda stuck, and I discovered one collapsed lifter. I am trying to get the others out but its proving to be a bit tougher haha. I'm keep seeing if I can get them out

Offline kopeck

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
Not trying to hy-jack your thread vjfelix55 but I'm in the same boat and want to ask a question while we're on the topic.

On a mild/stock rebuild does the rotating assembly need to be balanced?  Seems like all the hot rod guys say yes but I suspect it's not the case on engines that are not being reved all that much.

K