Author Topic: Oil Gasket.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Spool

Oil Gasket.
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
Hey guys,
73' c20 here.

I'm leaking oil from my pan and believe I need a new oil gasket.

Went to autozone and they asked if it was
-with exhaust pipe packing or without?

Would you guys happen to know?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:23:05 PM by Spool »

Offline redhot1.4

Re: Oil Gasket.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »
Try orileys. . My luck with autozone is the don't know anything about cars or trucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
Are you sure the oil pan is leaking rather than running down from above?  Have you verified oil isn't leaking from the intake manifold valley, or the valve covers, or the oil pressure sensor, or rear main seal, or the oil filter, etc.?

1973 C20 with 350 engine - oil pan gasket:  Try a Fel-Pro OS34509T one-piece gasket set.  The question regarding exhaust packing relates to vehicles that require removal of the exhaust crossover to gain suitable access to the pan.  Some gasket sets come with the exhaust packing, some without.  If you have single exhaust, you will probably need it.  But, you can always procure exhaust packing separately if necessary.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline blazer74

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »
The one piece is the way to go if that's what you need.

Offline Spool

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
Are you sure the oil pan is leaking rather than running down from above?  Have you verified oil isn't leaking from the intake manifold valley, or the valve covers, or the oil pressure sensor, or rear main seal, or the oil filter, etc.?

1973 C20 with 350 engine - oil pan gasket:  Try a Fel-Pro OS34509T one-piece gasket set.  The question regarding exhaust packing relates to vehicles that require removal of the exhaust crossover to gain suitable access to the pan.  Some gasket sets come with the exhaust packing, some without.  If you have single exhaust, you will probably need it.  But, you can always procure exhaust packing separately if necessary.

The oil likes to drip from the pan and is most noticeable when parked. It runs along the sides and pools in the center before dripping.
The engine block looks clean from the intake manifold and rear main seal.

AutoZone had the Fel-Pro available, I'll go with that.

Thanks guys.