Author Topic: Big 10 Confusion  (Read 1778 times)

Offline FireGuy

• New Users
  • 79 Big 10, 2WD
Big 10 Confusion
« on: June 12, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
Ok... just landed a 1979 Big 10, 2WD, Shortbed. Found it in some blackberry bushes, and the guy told me to haul it away, no cost. VIN says it's a 454 truck, but clearly has a 305 in it. Not a huge deal, makes you think that someone at some point swapped the motor. Problem I have with this is that the build tag on the Air cleaner housing says it's a 305-2bbl, built 12-1978. If this is the case, this would put it in line with when the truck was built. I haven't been able to get other information off the truck yet, but was curious... Is it possible that when it was built, they made an error on the VIN, or it went down the wrong line for the motor? How about the motor being swapped at the dealer?

The guy I got it from was the 2nd owner, and he got it from his dad who bought it brand new. He said as far as he knew it was all original. I'm stumped, and until I can clean it up and get more info from it, I can't be sure..... Any thoughts? VIN starts with CCS449Z******. I'll upload pics when I can get the app to work right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Big 10 Confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »
Nice find. Don't think that type of error would come from gm, guess it could of but part of the big 10 deal was the 454 being available in a half ton. I would bet more that the motor was swapped by the guys dad then being forgot about
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Big 10 Confusion
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
If that actually is the VIN then someone pulled the factory 454.  That was the last year for a 1/2T to get one.