Author Topic: Engine cranks over, then stalls.  (Read 1737 times)

Offline 78projectchevy

Engine cranks over, then stalls.
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
I'm hoping this is an easy fix as it's been driving me nuts. On a cold engine that has sat overnight, it just wont start on the first try. I typically push the gas pedal 5 times, turn the key and it does one solid "VROOM" then immediately dies. Every time.

The motor is a 1992 350 and is carbureted, and I believe that it's adjusted correctly. It has a manual choke, which makes no difference if its closed, half or full open. I've tried all positions when starting in the mornings. Just the one big sound like it's starting, followed by silence, not even a sputter or two.

Thanks for taking the time!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine cranks over, then stalls.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »
Is just the engine a 1992 model?  What's the year/model of the vehicle?  What carburetor?  Any mods to the engine?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Also, you should not have to pump it 5 times.

Pics?

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »
Try just like, one light pump, barely 1/4 of a pedal press. I was pumping mine before thinking it needed it like that, but it turned out that I didn't... When you crank it, are you releasing the gas pedal entirely or keeping it depressed? How much if so? Mine doesn't want to stay running after that first crank, either, but I think I need to turn the lower idle screw in a little bit and idle it faster. *shrugs* There are two idle screws on my Edelbrock carb (just discovered this not long ago). One easily visible, one underneath the linkage area that you don't even see without pulling the throttle all the way XD