Author Topic: Clunking/rattling when moving slow?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline dakotasrustbucket

• New Users
Clunking/rattling when moving slow?
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
Hi all. This is my first post here. I have an issue with my truck. When I'm slowing down, from about 10 miles an hour and slower, the truck has a clunk to it. I can't feel it, but it's sure loud. It sounds as if there's a thick steal wire tied around the driveline, and every time it spins around, it smacks another piece of steal. That's not my issue, just an example of the noise. It sounds like something is loose but I've crawled under the truck many times and can't figure it out. Sounds like it's coming from the front end or directly under the cab. The truck is a 1973 GMC C30 custom, 4-speed. It doesn't matter whether the clutch is in or not, or even whether the truck is on. If I shut it off and roll to a stop, it still does the clunking/rattling noise. I'm thinking it had to be something with the driveline because the noise it dependent on the speed of the driveline. It's a fast rattle at about 10 miles an hour, and as the truck slows down so does the clunking. And it's completely stops clunking obviously when I stop moving, and when I'm going faster than 10 miles an hour. And it doesn't clunk when accelerating, I assume because there's no slack in the driveline. Sorry for the long post, but this drives me insane. Any suggestions would help. I'm sure it's simple and someone knows the answer. Thanks all

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
Re: Clunking/rattling when moving slow?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
Put it up on jack stands and see if if does it.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline dakotasrustbucket

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »
As in jack the rear up and accelerate and see what happens?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
If you run the vehicle in gear with the drive axle off of the ground, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the vehicle is suitably supported on jack stands and stable, so there is NO possibility of the tires contacting the ground, or you could launch the vehicle out of control causing major personal injury and property damage!  Never rely on a floor jack, alone, no matter how much confidence you may have. 

Closely inspect all of the u-joints, as well as the center support bearing if it has a two-piece driveline - look for any evidence of rust tracking.  Make sure all of the u-joint straps are installed and tight.  Check the driveline yokes at the transmission, differential and mid-driveline if a two-piece shaft - make sure none of the yokes are loose or wobbly.  Are the transmission and drive axle full of lubricant?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
I would not drive it anymore until I pulled driveshaft and had a reputable shop check it out.
It sounds like there is a problem with u-joints or center bearing. If that shaft came apart
While driving , it could cause a lot of damage.
Jerry