Author Topic: Fuel additives...  (Read 3325 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Fuel additives...
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
Is there any fuel additive out there that actually does good? Are most just gimmicky junk? VZ your usually a tough critic on this sort of thing.

Now that i have an alternate vehicle, i dont drive my c-10 EVERY day, and the gas sits a little longer, thats all.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline bedwards

Re: Fuel additives...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
Other than Stabil and Seafoam, depends on what your trying to use it for. I use Stabil on my stuff that sits any time and the Seafoam is good for cleaning injectors, carbs and even directly in the intake for carbon.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »
if i dont plan on driving the truck that often i normally only have 1/4 tank of gas in. my crew cab cummins is kind of my DD so i fill it up but anything else is 1/4 tank. i dont think fuel will crap out in a month or two anyway
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
I would never leave a tank 1/4 empty on anything that was going to sit over the winter.  An empty tank will allow water to condense inside the tank.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »
Agreed, keep your tank level up there. Put a stabilizer in if you are going to let it sit a long time. i do not recommend in tank fuel conditioners unless you intend to burn through it all relatively quickly. That crap usually attacks rubber over time.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »
Ok, thanks. I guess just a little stabilizer in Nov. before hibernation.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
Didn't know she was going into hibernation
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 06:20:07 AM »
I'll still drive her through the winter as long as the roads are totally dry and clean. I mean if i lick the road and cant taste any salt, then ok. Lol..

Besides, would like to install a front end kit. Do a brake cleaning and inspection. I've never seen the brakes since i bought the truck. Probably because they have always worked fine.

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
I haven't used any additive the last two winters (5-6 months each) my trucks been parked, just topped off the tanks before parking her and in the spring I've had no issues at all firing her back up. With that said in the spring when i start her on the old pre-winter gas my mileage is noticeably worse until i get fresh gas because this modern gas/ethanol crap starts degrading at 3 months but i've had no issues otherwise. This spring i want to say i got around 65-70 miles around town on a tank of pre-winter gas and i usually get around 100 miles to a tank around town (just got 108.3 miles to 17.3 gallons or 6.26 City MPG yesterday when i filled up, best city MPG so far) so i know that something is happening to the gas over the winter but it still runs good and starts easy, just kinda lousy mileage.
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Fuel additives...
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »
Yup! Ethanol is crap! What a waste!! Adding ethanol to fuel does no good to the environment. It just gums up if it sits too long, especially 2 and 4 stroke.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 06:34:15 AM »
Need to figure out a way to make sure no ethical crap gas gets left in the carb bowl if it's going to sit for a long time

It will ruin the carb
It dries out and leaves a gunky residue

I would put a lot of sta bil in the tank before you park it for the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Fuel additives...
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
There's a fuel place near me that sells non-ethanol fuel/racing fuel already in the can. 5 gal for $70. Over the counter stuff like at home cheapo is like $20 for just under 1 gal. But i plan on taking the truck out on sunny dry clean road days. Not even salt dust residue.

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
Ethanol is the killer for vehicles/machinery that sits around a lot.  I keep a 5 gallon can of ethanol free 100LL aviation fuel on hand; top off my generator and summer power tools (mower, chain saws, weed wacker) when they go into storage.  Would help your square out as well if it sits for extended periods.