Author Topic: Problems when switching between gas tanks  (Read 2829 times)

Offline landry

Problems when switching between gas tanks
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »
When I switch from the right hand tank to the left hand tank and go for a drive the truck doesn't want to shut off after the drive. The key will be in the off position and the truck will sputter like it is trying to start again. So i switched back to the right hand tank it just starts pulling power and returning it then pulling power again but then it will quit after a while and run fine. I can not figure out why if any one has an idea on why it would do that please let me know
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:45:44 AM by landry »
1/2 ton 1985 c10 short bed 305 v8 th300

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Problems when switching between gas tanks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »
 :o What? lol
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline landry

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »
I don't know I couldn't find anyone who had a similar problem so I figured I would ask the form because I am stumped
1/2 ton 1985 c10 short bed 305 v8 th300

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:22:49 PM »
When I switch from the right hand tank to the left hand tank it doesn't want to shut off the key will be in the off position and it will sputter like it is trying to start again and when you switch back to the right hand tank it just starts pulling power and returning it then pulling power again but then it will quit after a while and it is fine and I can not figure out why if any one has an idea on why it would do that please let me know

"When I switch from the right hand tank to the left hand tank it doesn't want to shut off."

What do you mean? It doesn't want to change tanks?

"The key will be in the off position and it will sputter like it is trying to start again."

The key has to be on with all of my trucks and once in a while it will sputter or sneeze switching tanks when mine is running.

"When you switch back to the right hand tank it just starts pulling power and returning it then pulling power again."

What do you mean by pulling power?

"Then it will quit after a while and it is fine."

Then don't switch tanks.......just kidding

"I can not figure out why if any one has an idea on why it would do that please let me know."

We are working on it.  8)

On my trucks, once in a while it will shudder or sneeze changing tanks while driving, I usually wait until I am at a light or stopped someplace before I switch them. I've written my issue off as the fuel from the tank not being used drained back to the tank and it just takes a second to catch up and refill the lines.

1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline Spoonbill

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
I have an 87 r10 305tbi 700r4 and I too have problems. If I am sitting and go to switch tanks it will die instantly but then restart just fine on the tank I switched too but if I am going down the road it won't die or sputter nothing, just like it is supposed to do

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
I have an 87 r10 305tbi 700r4 and I too have problems. If I am sitting and go to switch tanks it will die instantly but then restart just fine on the tank I switched too but if I am going down the road it won't die or sputter nothing, just like it is supposed to do

Weird, my '87 is the opposite, will switch fine at idle but stall when switching going down the road
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline Spoonbill

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
With mine the engine will die if I switch tanks when sitting still. If I am going down the road I have no problems. is it the selector valve or other problems?