Author Topic: What is this contamination in my fuel bowl? (pic)  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Michael

• 86 K10 4X4
What is this contamination in my fuel bowl? (pic)
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
Any idea what this might be?

While diagnosing a flooding problem I discovered that both fuel bowls had this dirt looking stuff in the bottom of the bowls.  The carb is only a couple months old (a professional rebuild that arrived appearing like new).  Every other part of the carb looks like new when I opened it so am lead to believe it was not there a couple months ago.  I have a glass fuel filter just prior to the carb and it is as clean as the day I installed it (long before the carb).  I am at a loss as to what it is or where it came from.   I wiped it out like microscopic dirt.   Any ideas?

Ps. The flooding was due to something (this substance?) on the tip of one of the float needles.
1986 K10 4x4
5.0L
SM465 4-speed manual

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: What is this contamination in my fuel bowl? (pic)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
Welcome to the site
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Lss1six

Re: What is this contamination in my fuel bowl? (pic)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
I would say it's from ethanol, it wrecks havoc on carburetors. We have a lot of small engines, atvs, etc that need the carb cleaned or rebuilt from time to time. I even put ethanol treatment in but it doesn't seem to matter. Could be rust in the tank/ lines as well.