Author Topic: making you tranny last a long time  (Read 6907 times)

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
making you tranny last a long time
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
what is the best thing you can do to make your transmission last a long time. a lot of people i know have been putting their trucks in the shop to get their trannys worked on or even more expensive, rebuilt. i plan on changing the fluid in my Turbo 400 soon. all i do is drop the pan and change the filter, is there more the do-it yourselfer can do? it's a scary thought knowing that your tranny is gonna have to be rebuilt, because tranny work is way too high i think and i just want mine last a long time. and plus you're away from your truck when it gets worked on. has anyone tried that tranny flush that you can get done at service stations. i've heard good and bad things about it. so what do ya'll think about all this?

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> making you tranny last a long time
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
Heat kills transmissions. Simply put.
The best thing anyone can do is install a transmission cooler.  They are cheap and easy to put in.  They are mandatory if you do any towing/pulling.  However, In my mind, all trucks should have them.   Another good thing about them is that your tranny will require more fluid, due to the cooler lines and cooler. Having this extra fluid increases the time between fluid changes.

Changing your tranny fluid often is also mandatory.

SgtDel
GMU '90
George Mason University, sweeeeet 16!!!

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: > making you tranny last a long time
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
Tranny flush usually is  good easy maint. if your willing to pay the bucks to have it done. Problem with the system is that they usually dont change your filter in the process, at least the shops around me don't unless you specify that you want it done. When I bought my'81, I changed my fluid, filter, and gasket, but before putting the pan back on, installed a B&M drain plug kit, makes for easier filter changes down the road. Good investment too, only runs about ten or fifteen bucks. And as SgtDel said, DO invest in the tranny cooler, I beleive that you can also get an auxilary remote mount filter for additional protection, you'll thank yourself later for doing it.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Edited by: Z28 c10 at: 3/22/06 8:01 pm

Offline 81ChevyCheyenne

Re: > making you tranny last a long time?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »
Okay this is a stupid question but do you guys suggest a tranny cooler for a manual transmission as well? Thanks in advance!

81ChevyCheyenne

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Re: > making you tranny last a long time
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
Negative.  There are no coolers for a manual tranny----they don't need them.  They don't have the parts in it like an automatic w/ torque converters--that cause a lot of heat.

SgtDel

George Mason University--sweeeet 16.  Yeah, baay bee.

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
making your tranny last a long time
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
so the best thing i can do is buy a tranny cooler. i gotcha.

Offline 78rustbucket

Re: making your tranny last a long time
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
maint wise a trans flush is about the best you can do, like z28 mentioned most dont drop your pan to change the filter unless you ask. my opinion just changing the oil thats in the pan isnt worth doin it. pretty much the same result youd get if you drained your engine oil a liter changed the filter topped it up then called it an oil change. a flush aint cheap but there isnt another pratical way to change all the fluid.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
That's not a good comparisson, transmission oil is not exposed to byproducts of combustion like engine oil is. A fluid flush still does not get the contaminants out of the filter and pan. How do I know? We dropped the pan after using the machine to see if it lived up to the sales pitch and the pan was filthy still! I also have rebuilt 3 transmissions that failed very quickly after getting them "flushed" A transmission service by draining the fluid and replacing the filter at normal intervals is much better than spending a hundred bucks getting a bunch of fluid mixed and pumped through your trans. An auxiliary cooler is definitely a good idea if you do any towing. Don't buy into the hype of "Power Flushing" If you ever looked at a transmission flow chart you'd see it's nearly impossible to truly flush the system without overhaul. Just don't wait til it's too late to perform your preventive maintinences.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
Do not forget about the drain plug kit!!!!!  If you decide to do the fluid changes yourself, it makes it SO much cleaner and simpler. All you need is a drill and a 1/2 inch drill bit, throw the plug kit in when you drop the pan on your first fluid change.
   JayTater
   Z28 C10

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
tranny
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
yeah i was thinking of doing that. how much does a drain plug kit set ya back?

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: tranny
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
It's been a few years since I got one, but I think it was only like 15 or 20 bucks. I put one on my XR7 Cougar about three years ago and was going to put one on my '81 but it already had one put in.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
All good points! I went to get the pan dropped and filter changed in my 85 (TH350) but they said they could only flush it (more expensive) because the crossmember blocked two of the pan bolts. I haven’t verified this yet so I don’t know how true this is but I didn’t get the fluid changed regardless. I do have a B&M Supercooler on it though but I am not using the stock one in the radiator either.  Each time I change the oil I find a wet pan so I have a nagging leak somewhere. The inspection cover is missing and I know I should replace it but would that cause a leak?

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
You may want to try to drop it yourself. I know that mine comes off without much interferance from the crossmember. Possible cause of the leak could be the pan gasket, but if you've got fluid around the front of the trans, it could very well be the front seal, if it is, that just means you' ll need to pull the trans and slam in a new seal. While it's out you should definetely check or replace the freeze plugs on the back of the motor, a little hassle that would save you headaches later.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
SUX2BU, they just did not want to switch sockets on their ratchet.  All the crossmember does is make it so that you need a shallow well socket and a 3" extension to get the pan loose.  I know what they are talking about and it is not that hard, they may just be lazy and plan to use and air ratchet or something, but I won't give my opinion on that.  It is not too difficult if you wish to just do it yourself, just buff the sealing surface on the pan and use a little red RTV.

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
Awesome thanks for the info! I kinda figured it was that. "Oh no! I have to put down the air tool and pick up one those wrench-thingies!"  :rollin  

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.