Author Topic: 1977 Chevy Stepside re-do  (Read 96171 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
i need to figure out a set up for my 3/4. i was watching one of them power block "horsepower" shows and they had wyotech guys in there and they gave them a 5k spending limit but they only turned out i think it was 422 hp and 401 hp with the zz383 short block that it seamed they were so proud of, i don't think thats the way to go. IMO summit has there hands way to dirty in that show i mean everything they guys say has to do with them. bunch of
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
I probably never build another small block, You can build a budget stroker Big block for the same price and have more torque.

Scat Sells a cast stroker 4.250 crank for $280. you could build a really nice 489 to 505 on a 5k budget.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:54:02 PM by Captkaos »
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
a guy local to here had a late 70's nova with a 505, went 10.20's with no power adders - not bad for an engine out of an old grain truck.

i think youre gonna need bigger tires. and in quantity  ;D
official go'fer/ broom pusher/ token fat guy of www.yatesefi.com

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
Do you think these are big enough ? ;D  They are 33 x 16.5

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:34:32 AM by cubicdollars »

Offline 78BBSTEPSIDE

• Registered Users
That is going to be one wicked ride!

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
I probably never build another small block, You can build a budget stroker Big block for the same price and have hella more torque.

Scat Sells a cast stroker 4.250 crank for $280. you could build a really nice 489 to 505 on a 5k budget.
Theres no replacement for displacement. I plan on building a 505 for my 76 swb (not the choptop) and making it a full on drag truck. Its gonna be a while as I got two extended cabs, the wifes 81 3/4 ton, and my choptop to finish before it.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
The good thing about this build , there were no exoctic parts everything was off the shelf  :D

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Cool build!

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
After a few weeks of putting off the clearencing work I fired up the die grinder and notched the block for the beefy rods ;D
I think I have around 6 hours of assembling, disassembling, grinding, cleaning, assembling again, then back to dissambly again for a final cut. since I am running steel rods I need a minimum of .80. I do have to dissamble again for a few spots but I will be done mocking it up.  I also checked the piston height and at TDC it's 0 with rock over it's .006 just perfect for what I am planning to do. Aby way enjoy the picts.

Before

After

Offline 84chevysilverado

• Frequent Member
man she'll meke some wicked horse power
I'D RATHER PUSH A CHEVY THAN DRIVE A FORD

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Delicious!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
That's just awesome.. ;D
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
That thing will be tight when your done!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline lowbucktruck

• Registered Users
  • Old Reliable
Whooo weee!  That is some powerplant!   ;D
You might wanna invest some money in a tire company.  You may need a lifetime supply of rubber, running that bad boy.  lol
"Two rules get you through life: If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it."

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
Thanks Guy's  ;D

I have my Merlin heads at the machine shop now getting ported, polished and flow benched not they should be done in a few weeks. Unfortunatly this could be a long drawn out project. I work in the Aviation field and everyday lately we are talking about layoff and Furloughs.

But just like my dually I do not plan on racking up any credit cards or loans to build this bad boy, I'll be eating alot of top ramin though ;D ;D