Author Topic: Dash electrial ground  (Read 7389 times)

Offline onekarnut

Dash electrial ground
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
Can any one get a good picture of the electrial ground strip that is supposed to be located on--near--around--on the driverside firewall-- close to a/c duct---mounted on emergency brake release bracket?  Half of my dash lites do not work--the left side of the speedo and all the small guages to the left side. Was told to check ground on the terminal strip as you can probaly tell I cannot find the strip. Pictures please or a guided direction a 2 yr could use would be a great help.
Can you see  flustration?
1984 Silverado swb reg cab 350/700r4 with guages
Thanks in advance for your help and encouragement
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:11:03 PM by onekarnut »

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
Re: Dash electrial ground
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
I'll get some tomorrow, but if you pull the dash bezel, look to the left into the square cutout, beside the light switch. You should see the strip.

Now I don't think that will cause half your dash lights to work, and the other half not too. I think there is a problem with the circuit board, most likely a broken strip.

And if this is the case, you have to pull the bezel anyways, and in fact, you'll see that strip even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
look up from the bottom its not hard to find. if it is there lol

half the dash lights not working could be as simple as half the bulbs not working. when i got my k10 75% of the dash light bulbs either didnt work or werent even there. just be careful taking everything apart the plastic can be quite brittle
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline blazer74

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »

Probably not the problem like was said.

Offline onekarnut

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the replys.
My truck does not have a ground terminal location as shown in the pic. I will build a connector strip and search for loose/disconnected ground wires.
I have replaced all the bulbs in the dash.
My next step is to pull the guage pod and check the circuit board for a broken circuit. Will also check the main connector at the board.
Any more suggestions are welcomed.

Offline K20Detroit

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »
My '84 6.2 has two of the strips like the ones pictured, one is accessible by the bottom, the other only by the cluster. One is the one pictured IIRC, the other is above or below with only the clock and one other plug.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »
...My next step is to pull the gauge pod and check the circuit board for a broken circuit.  Will also check the main connector at the board.
Any more suggestions are welcomed.

The copper foil on the PC board and the lamp socket contacts have a tendency to oxidize with age.  Carefully burnish the copper foil and socket contacts with a soft pencil eraser until shiny.  Be very careful not to peel the foil loose from its plastic backing - an easy mistake to make.  If the sockets fit too loose in the back of the cluster housing, increase the pressure between the sockets and the board by slightly bending the socket contacts.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Spectre398

• old school
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
I just did this today trying to figure out why my blinkers were flashing backwards, and fuel gauge dropping down when I turn lights on.  The blinker and fuel gauge contacts in the plug behind the cluster were tarnished and one was folded.  Works about 90% better, thanks for the advice bd!
1986 Chevy 3+3 350 & th400