Author Topic: Instrument cluster acting funny  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Restoredrustbucket

Instrument cluster acting funny
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:45:17 AM »
Hey guys, ive got an 86 k10 and my instrument cluster is acting strange, when i turn my left blinker on, all my gauges go left and when my right blinkers on they go right, also when i turn on my headlights both the turn signal light indicators turn on (on the instrument cluster only) ive also noticed when the headlights are on the gauges seem to missread at higher points (fuel level goes up, oil pressure up, temperature up) just wondering if this has happened to anyone and if so what they did to fix it, thanks

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Instrument cluster acting funny
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
Check and clean your ground connections to the left of the dash vent behind the dash bezel. check the integrity of your grounds throughout the vehicle as well. See what happens after you do that
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Instrument cluster acting funny
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »
I had similar problems years back, and it was the instrument panel ground wire that was disconnected.  On my truck it was grounded to a post on top of the emergency brake mechanism, but on newer trucks I think they added a grounding bar up under the dash.  Its a black wire that connects up to the large plug on the back of the cluster.

Bruce