Author Topic: door adjustment?  (Read 16525 times)

Offline 85silverado

door adjustment?
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
My driver side door is aligned and closes perfect, except it sticks out a little and is not flush. Does the door jamb need adjusting? or is the latch worn out? Thanks for any help.

Offline shaved80

Re: door adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »
what part sticks out, the front or back? if the front, you need to adjust the hinge where it mounts to the door, if the back, slide the striker towards the cab a little

Offline 85silverado

door adjustment?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
It is the back, how do i slide the striker toward the cab?

Offline shaved80

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
using a star hex, loosen the striker, move it inward, tighten it, check the fit and keep adjusting until it's right

Offline 85silverado

door adjustment?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »
OK I can do that. thanks for the help.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> door adjustment?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »
If you don't have one of those star tools, I usually use use a channel lock pliers and get a very tight grab on that joker and lift up on it.  Once it loosens a little, move it a little in whichever direction and retighten. You'll get it where you want it after a couple of tries. Make sure you tighten the heck out of it so it won't move on you later.

SgtDel

George Mason ELITE 8 !!!!!!! Uh Oh, UConn's next.

Offline shaved80

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
i use locking pliers too, but i'd recommend either putting something around the striker or just using a star hex so you don't scratch up the striker

Offline 85silverado

door adjustment?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, i did it using the star hex.

Offline Coop86

• New Users
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
What if the door sticks out at the bottom.  I recently replaced the hinge pins and bushings (only) on the driver's side of my 87 sierra.  The door was sagging terrible.  Now the door is nice and tight but still sags almost 1/4 at the back and sticks out at the bottom.  I tried adjusting the hinges at the door screws only with no luck.  I'm guessing that one or both of the hinge assemblies may be bent.  Anyone have an idea?  Also, if I decide to replace the hinges - how to I get to the inverted cab mount screw on the top hinge?

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> Re: door adjustment
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
The inverted door bolt must be loosened from inside the cab.  It is a chore.  It is pretty much right behind the left a/c vent on your dash.  You may have to removed your a/c duct work going to that vent to access the hole where bolt head is.

I wouldn't think your hinge is bent.  It could be out of adjustment.  There are ways to adjust it...the two bolts for each hinge on the door itself....loosen the bottom two bolts and push in on the door to keep the door from sticking out at the bottom. Then tighten.

The door should not sag 1/4".  Loosen the bolts you can loosen on the hinges on the body of the vehicle and lift up on the door and retighten all the bolts. You can lift up, pull out on it, etc.  Play around w/ it, you should get it.

SgtDel

GMU Madness

Offline Coop86

• New Users
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »
I see what your saying about the adjustment.  What I dont understand is if all I have done is change the pins and bushings, why would the door not go back to it's original aligned position.  (hinges have never been moved)  The only bolts that had to be loosened to change the pins were the upper hinge door bolts and I marked those very well.

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
That's tough to say. When it comes to fine adjustments on adjustable items, its best not to try to understand but only do what needs to be done :lol

Speaking of, my doors and front fenders are terribly aligned. My drivers door hits the cab at the upper right corner and chips the paint. It closes easily and smoothly though. But the gap between the fender and door is unacceptable. The pass side gap gets wider as you go up the gap.  I can see the side edge of the hood above the fender on both sides of the truck. That hard part is: what is the reference point? If the hood, fenders and doors are all wonky, where do I start the alignment process?

SgtDel, thanks for the excellent info on the doors. I'd like to get all this stuff done before I take the truck in for a repaint and fixing of the cab corners and rear quarter bottoms (some bubbling has started), because I don't want to pay for a body shop's labor rate just to alighn stuff if I can do it myself.  Any tips or tricks to share is most appreciated!

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline shaved80

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
over time the hinges will eventually shift