Author Topic: Question for the painters  (Read 2405 times)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Question for the painters
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »
My question is how do you guys deal with scratches and gouges?
I've been doing some cab corner, rocker, and floor work to my cab getting it ready for paint. My cab has been repainted once before. It was a pretty good paint job but it has some gouges here and there from being a work truck. I feathered a few out but they will need attention. I was thinking that I could hit the spots with high build primer once or twice and block them out before I primed the whole cab. Some spots will be down to the metal and I thought that might be too much to just add primer but not really deep enough for filler.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
Re: Question for the painters
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
You can get some really fine filler. One product I've found is "Stopper" then filler primer. Works a treat  ;)
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
Any high build urethane primer should bring it back up with 5 or 6 coats. Block it as you said, then reapply several more coats if it wasn't enough. Block it flush with the paint. If the first paint job was a quality one you might not need to prime the whole thing.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
That's what I was hoping to hear Blazin. The paint they put on the cab is bc/cc and is solid.

Blitzer, is that stuff like glazing putty?
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
Hi bud, the Stopper mixes the same as normal filler but is more refined. The repairs I've done were normal filler with 40/80 grit to get the shape then the Stopper on that to smooth out the "sanding lines" left by the 80 grit. I used 320 on that then a coat of filler primer (2K) and blocked that down with wet + dry. Done the job for me
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*