Author Topic: Where is the factory installation for the spare tire??  (Read 2762 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Where is the factory installation for the spare tire??
« on: July 29, 2020, 06:15:35 PM »
I have a 1974 chevy C10 stepside.  After the 3rd flat in the last year I finally had the guy at America's tire order me a new stock rim and another one of the tires I have on the truck, which are a standard size according to the manual.  (15 x 7 if memory serves).  So now I have to get the tire on the truck.  Someone along the line installed a chain hoist mechanism in the back and cut a hole so that a crank could get to it and hoist up the tire up under the bed, but there is no mount stuff.  Also the exhaust pipes are just wider than the tire.  (less than one inch on either side).  I am thinking a shield of some kind is in order to keep the smell of burning rubber from entering the cab when the tire catches fire...  A picture of the factory stuff would sure be helpful.  Maybe I have the exhaust re-routed further apart and get some angle welded in there?  Anybody got any idea where the tire used to go??  thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ricky

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Where is the factory installation for the spare tire??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
The glide out carrier under the bed behind the axle, in front of the grille, inside the bed, can of fix a flat, AAA, lots of options.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »
so are there parts for the glide out carrier behind the axle?  It will cover my polished aluminum cast differential cover but I only put that on as I heard the pressed sheet metal ones always leak and mine was leaking.  In other words I don't mind covering it up...
Ricky

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
so are there parts for the glide out carrier behind the axle?  It will cover my polished aluminum cast differential cover but I only put that on as I heard the pressed sheet metal ones always leak and mine was leaking.  In other words I don't mind covering it up...

The glide out was factory but a lot of people take them off or let them rot away. I'm sure yours is gone if they put a cable hoist system in. On one end there was an extremely long carriage bolt and the other had a a special wedged lever mechanism. I gave mine to a member on this forum. Don't remember who it was...phil something. I run 35,s so spare stays in the bed. If you really want one I can check the parts field and see if I have one still hanging around but driving or you paying for shipping is up to you.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:45:58 AM »
The spare tire hoists are available aftermarket and as long as you maintain them, they are much simpler and convenient to use. As far as covering up your rear end, no one wants to see your butt crack anyway.  :D Seriously though, you don't need a full size spare either. Go donut shopping from an astrovan or something.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:59:24 PM »
This is the usual place
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 04:40:28 PM »
Thanks much!  That photo is quite helpful.  The chain hoist that is welded in place won't turn with the flimsy crank someone built for it.  I will maybe replace that as I have nothing else to work with.  I don't weld but I can take it to the guy who welded the steering box reinforcement for me....
Ricky