Author Topic: fuel pump?  (Read 3572 times)

Offline bigcatbucho

• New Users
fuel pump?
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »
I have a 1980 chevy c10 and I am trying to start it but can't get it to stay running.

I thought it might be the switch at first, but I tried adding fuel to both tanks (one at a time of course)  to try to get it to run, but that doesn't work.  the only way I can get it to run is if i pour gas directly on to the carburetor and then it only runs for about 5 seconds or until that gas runs out.    The reason I was thinking it might be the switch was that I blew a fuse right after I hit the switch to send it from one tank to the other.  Just to be on the safe side I replaced ALL my fuses.  Could it still be the switch or might it be the fuel pump? If it were the fuel pump where is it located on this model?  

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> fuel pump?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »
The fuel pump is located, when looking at your engine w/ hood up,on the left (passenger) side of the engine, towards the front of the engine.  You could follow the gas lines from your carb to the pump.

The pump is only about $15.  Take the lines off, and two bolts, she comes off.  Don't lose the rod inside.

It sounds like the fuel pump.  An easy way to check it is take the line off at the carb.  point the line into a jar.  Have someone crank the engine and see how much gas comes out.  It should fill up quite quickly.

If pumps checks out ok, it could be the float inside the carb.  If the float sticks up, it will not allow gas to come into the bowl. Take a hammer and slightly tap around where the gas line comes in. When to bowl is empty, the float should come down, opening the needle to allow gas to come in.

Just an idea.

SgtDel

GEORGE MASON in FINAL FOUR!!

Offline DnStClr

Re: fuel pump?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »
The  fuel pump is located on the passenger side (right side) of the engine, lower half of the engine toward the front. It's a mechanical pump, with no electric wires running to it, so the problem with fuses blowing is not caused by the pump.
My guess is that somewhere, perhaps at the switch on your dash or at the tank switching unit on the truck frame under the passenger door, there is a 12 volt dc power wire being grounded out. Easiest place to start is at the dash switch. Can you pull it out and disconnect the wires and check the switch for proper operation with a multimeter? REMEMBER which wires go to which switch terminals!

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline DnStClr

Re: fuel pump?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
Ha! Del, we musta been posting at the same time. Well, anyway, hope one of us has been a help.:D
George Mason ,huh?
dance.gmu.edu/

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> Re: fuel pump?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
Yeah Don, similar posts--same time.

Nice link---So you think you are funny, huh? I don't know about their dance program, but their college of engineering, college of technology,  computer sciences and criminal justice departments are the best. Not to  mention their graduate schools.  I just don't know what happened to me.:lol    

the right link
www.gmu.edu

cnnsi

Cinderella You know we are loving it!!

GO MASON!!  2 MORE WINS SHOULD DO IT.

SgtDel

Edited by: SgtDel at: 3/28/06 4:20 pm