Author Topic: 85 1 ton Dually- Cummins Swap  (Read 109547 times)

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
85 1 ton Dually- Cummins Swap
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:31:46 AM »
Alright guys I jumped on the Cummins Bandwagon :):)

I picked up my 96 12V at the junkyard yesterday its got 135,000 miles on it and it had a pretty bad oil leak but the guy always kept it filled, I am sure the front cover is cracked somewhere.

I got the engine, NV4500 Bellhousing, Input shaft and cone to make my Chevy NV4500 to work with Dodge, the intercooler, Radiator, some exhaust, the cruis control, and some wiring I paid $2400 for everything.

Plan of attack is to purchase my conversion parts from a company out of Montana called http://www.autoworldmt.com/Page_9.html. They Said all brackets and everything I need to not cut the frame up will run $900. Its the Brackets to relocate the Alternator and A/C compressor, the engine mounts to properly locate the engine, and the pullys and belts.

I am going to spend a few months gathering the parts and when I have everything to put the engine in is when I'll tear down the dually for the repower.

My Questions are
1. I robbed a speedo and harness from a 91 Suburban with the electronic speedo and all the plugs fir the transmission does anyone have a Wire Diagram for the rest of    the wiring?

2.Where do I get the right A/C hoses from?

3. Did anybody get the cruise control to work on there swaps?

I am sure more question will come up as I am gathering parts.

Here are some photos the engine is extremily dirty but it cleaned up rather well.

1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »
Well I have the Moter Mounts, Alt and A/C brackets being made for the GM Componants and Pullys on the way for the repower.

I have the engine semi cleaned up I will be replacing all the gaskets and I think I am going to Powdercoat the exhause manifold and possibly turbo before I put the engine in.

Everything is comming along nicely except for the transmission I have an 92 NV4500 from a chevy that i was planning to use which is in sweet condition, ad I was going to convert it to the dodge config by swapping out the input shaft from the doner truck but since the Chevy NV is an older model it has lower 1st gear so I am not able to convert it to the Dodge config so I found a buildable Dodge NV4500 with a broken input shaft that I will have to put together, Hopefully I will be able to sell my chevy to pay for the rebuild since I already had the tranny I did not budget for a new one.

The plan is to gather all the parts and when everything is gathered then tear down the truck .

Offline Pullin81

• MY86
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
good thing you managed to find a rebuildable trany...these nv4500 are expencive. I wasnt aware at frist when i started my swap the chevy and dodge trany its self was different i was going to just do a bell housing swap as well. I got luckey being able to trade my bike off for a new Nv4500, engine and all accessories and HD clutch.

Few Questions

Are your wheels 16"? and your mud flaps do you think there is some adjustability with them my truck is on bags and i was just going to set up some mud flaps so there just off the ground when the truck is slammed down?
86 gmc short box...454/th400
81 gmc crew cab dually bagged 5.9 cummins/nv4500

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
The parts truck I got the engine out of I also got the bell housing and such, I found an NV4500 out of a 99 that is had the input shaft broken the the gears are in good shape, So I guesse it for the best I'll have a rebuilt tranny when the truck goes in.

The rims are Factory Alcoa's and they are 16's I think I am going to have them powder coated gloss black.

The mud flaps have basic angle brackets that attach to the fram I believe you can modifiy them to work on just about anything, I can take some photos of the brackets if you want?

Thanks
Dan

Offline Pullin81

• MY86
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »
ya for the mudflaps i would just have to raise them up so they dont drag on the ground, so i could probably just pull the metal bracket off then cut the mudflap and rivet the flap back on... yeah the NV4500 from the gear center in calgary are 2600 with no bell housing so if you can get away with just replacing the shaft then perfect... might i add updating the 5th gear nut apparently there a problem...just like the down pin under the timing cover on the cummins.

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
I'll have to check the 5th gear nut on the tranny I've ready that a few time, I also got extremily lucky and my pin was still in place :)  I am going to change all the gaskets and build a tab to retain the pin :)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
cubic dollars, can I split this and move it to a Cummins conversion post?

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »
Sure :)  The next time I update I will start a new post

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
Just find it in the projects section, no need to start a new one.

Offline modular93fox

• Registered Users
Re: 85 1 ton Dually- Cummins Swap
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
I've done a 5.3 4l60e conversion and got everything to work. cruise control, and speedo. the cruise control is mearly 4 wires from the switch, and 3 wires for the speedo. speedo has vss input (from the computer) power and ground. The cruise control you will have to compare the cruise control switches together. I'd bet they have the same control functions, but just to be sure. mine was chevy to chevy so I figured it would work, and  it did.
1987 5.3 4l60e Silverado - daily driver with A/C,P/W,P/L,TILT, HID projectors & 13.8" Rear Disc Brakes
A poor man buy's it twice

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
Well I ran into some snags on my NV4500, Origanally I bought a Chevy NV4500 out of a 1992 Chevy 1 ton Diesel truck, got it home and inspected it it was very clean and ready to install behind my BBC, well upon my procrstination I never installed it behind my BBC because I knew for the amout of work to install it I would not gain that many MPG's So when I decided to install the Cummins I thought I would be bucks up and be able to convert my chevy to the dodge BUT I soon found out after I got everything home that the older NV4500 had a lower 1st gear then the later ones I believe the split was 92-95 lower 1st gear and 96-99 or something like that, in 1996 when dodge introduced the NV in there trucks they had a larger input shaft than the chevys but the chevys can be converted to the dodge.

So here is where I am at I have a complete Chevy NV4500 that I cannot use, But I also found a 99 Dodge 2wd NV4500 off Craiglist for $500 I was told it needed Syncros and thats it so I talked him down to $360 Cash and I drove up 3 hrs and picked it up. Its was missing a few things but nothing major so I picked it up.
Well I get it home and pulled the top case and the gears are intact but it needed syncros and I pulled the Input shaft and I found the main shaft snapped :(  Even a bad core goes for $500 so I still didnt get hurt i guesse :(

So now my friend ordered everything I need to rebuild this thing , parts are around $300 so I am still not too far upside down on it I guesse, Ass soon as I sell my chevy I'll should breake even on the whole deal.

So I guesse if I had to did it again I would of just spent the money of a rebuilt tranny up front instead of trying to peice this thing together :)

So since I am going to use the Dodge tranny I an back to not having a speedo cable, What is everyone else going to use?

But on a possitive note my AC/Alt brackets and engine mounts should be here next week. They are building the A/C bracket so I can use a small harrison pump off a 90's model 350 and a heavey duty chevy style alt. :)

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »
More Picts

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

2.Where do I get the right A/C hoses from?

3. Did anybody get the cruise control to work on there swaps?

got my hoses made at my buddys shop cause they had a crimper     any ac shop should be able to build them for you.

i had some body tell me that the chevy cruise control  servo would not be strong enough to hold the cummins pump open, but i i would try it if your truck has one.   I dont know because my truck was ordered top of the line......except for the cruise... for what reason i dont know.

I believe the cruise control on the dodge is controlled by the ecm

Maby try to use the dodge servo and the chevy wiring?? just a though worth investigating

By servo i mean the diaphragm pump that holds the throttle open.

Offline Pullin81

• MY86
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
yeah i wanted to put a cruise control in mine as well but my dually never had it so im just going to use a mechanical hand throttle off a semi truck used for idling up the engines it should work when your just crusin flat land

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
btw,   the motor will run better if you remove the coverplate from the valve covers that reads "dodge ram"......just a suggestion lol