Author Topic: Hood not closing right  (Read 3015 times)

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
Hood not closing right
« on: August 22, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
HI all,

Haven't been here in awhile.  Just put a 350 crate that's still in the break in mode in my 85 C10 and have it back on the road and looking good.  Today I pulled an old man mistake and forgot to fully latch the hood before taking a little drive.  I was fortunate that it flew up in a spot where I could easily pull over and close it and no accidents were caused.  However the hood is catching a bit on the cowl screen and isn't closing right.  It will fully close, so it's ok to drive, its just not even with the rest of the body in the back corners.  (near cowl screen). Before I start throwing money at parts is it more likely that I bent the hood hinges or the spring mechanisms?  Or should I just replace both when I have the hood off?  Picture was to large to attach so link is below.

Thanks
Alan

https://i.postimg.cc/nrNJX360/IMG-7087.jpg

Offline Mike81K10

Re: Hood not closing right
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »
Looks like it needs to be adjusted, aligned. A little to the drivers side and pushed back a bit. Your hinge bolts can be loosened and move the hood a bit. You can also adjust the latch a bit as well. Have you tried to align it yet? Do not see you having to buy parts for your problem unless you have to replace something bad.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
No, I haven't bought any parts yet.  It's just that it closed just fine before it flew up, so figured I bent something or it would still be closing right.  I can try to make some adjustments first.  Thanks for the input!

Offline Mike81K10

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 09:56:28 PM »
Should be able to tell if the hinges are bent when you inspect and try to readjust them and if so, you are right and may have to replace them. If your hood flew up when it was closed the latch must not have been adjusted, are is not working.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »
Thanks.  The hood wasn't latched when it flew up.  All that is working properly.  So it sounds like if adjusting doesn't work its the hinges not the springs that most likely need replaced.  At just 10.95 a piece on   it could of been worse.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Hood not closing right
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
I don’t have the same problem, but when we painted, and then put the hood back on, well, it closes and opens great, but I have a lip where it meets the fender we also replaced, it’s like the hood needs to close another 1/4 of an inch on the drivers side.  Can’t figure it out!! Wonder if we have the same cause.

Ps. The fender lines up fine everywhere else.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:47:32 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »
I understand alignments can be tricky.  They usually suggest getting the panels aligned before you paint.  I had nice alignment until I was stupid and forgot to fully close the hood before a little test drive.  Now the rear wheels are off.  Drivers side brakes were smoking hot.  Normally that's a stuck caliper but the rear has drums, so I just plan on doing new brakes and a wheel cylinder.  Hope that takes care of it.   Good luck.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
You were distracted by your new motor, it happens... 8)

Your brake problem may be related to the flexible hose, notorious for a lot of calipers and cylinders being replaced for nothing.

Keep us posted!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline My85Chevy

• Cabs Classics
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 09:20:39 PM »
Yes it is really nice, that 305 and all that smog crap is long gone. 

I assume you mean this flexible hose that feeds the rear brake lines.  It appears to be ok.  It seems if it was an issue both rear brakes would of had a problem, not just the drivers side.  I've never figured out what that other hose is for that goes up to the bed.  It's just capped off.  See picture please.  Maybe someone knows what that is?

I did notice the front section of my master cylinder was dry when checking to make sure I had enough fluid to bleed the brakes later.  I put some fluid in and will be watching to see where the fluid might be going. 

Thanks!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 11:48:18 PM »

The "cap" is a baffled axle housing vent.  It's attached to the bottom of the bed to raise it as far off of the ground as possible to prevent deep water from entering the axle housing and contaminating the differential oil.  The vent helps ensure that the internal housing pressure matches atmospheric pressure so that the axle seals, pinion seal, and cover gasket can more effectively keep oil in and water out.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Mike81K10

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 11:58:28 PM »
Yes it is really nice, that 305 and all that smog crap is long gone. 

I've never figured out what that other hose is for that goes up to the bed.  It's just capped off.  See picture please.  Maybe someone knows what that is?

That is a pressure relief hose to your differential I believe and the "cap off" is actually a pressure relief valve. My hose was attached to my chassis (frame), original OEM location.