Author Topic: Help please  (Read 3886 times)

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
Help please
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted and much has changed. I hope all are well and enjoying there trucks.

I have a problem pertaining to an 90 Chevy p30. I cannot diagnose a steering issue. It is hydro boost. The components seem to be operational, but pressure is lacking. There is no milky consistency in fluid. There are no leaks. When off ground components work. When load is on wheels it doesn't work.

Please. This vehicle is for people in need and not for myself. Any advice or help would really be greatly appreciated. I know it isn't a rounded line but I don't know who else to turn to that is knowledgeable.

Thanks,

Peace

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
welcome back. what has been done recently? when did this problem start?

to me i would try and bleed the system and see what happens. im going to attach a few links to see if they help. if it doesnt help i would think a faulty master cylinder, but how are your brakes?

Brake System and Diagnosis

Bleeding the power steering system
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:21:15 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
After you verify proper fluid level make sure the belt is in good shape and tight.  Air the tires then lubricate all of the steering linkage, ball joints, A-frame bushings and retest.  Check the condition of the steering shaft attaching to the gear - lubricate the joints if they have grease fittings.  You indicated it is has no power steering assist, but how are the power assisted brakes functioning?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:28:34 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
Brakes not operating either I don't think. It is massive and can't really be driven to test.

When I pump brake it builds pressure. When I hold pressure on pedal and start it doesn't change at all.

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »
welcome back. what has been done recently? when did this problem start?

to me i would try and bleed the system and see what happens. im going to attach a few links to see if they help. if it doesnt help i would think a faulty master cylinder, but how are your brakes?

Brake System and Diagnosis

Bleeding the power steering system

I have bled the system. Fluid is clear. Seams to not be circulating.

What was and wasn't done previously is a guess at best. Strange circumstances to say the least. Thank you for the rewelcome, links, and advice. I will review the links and check back.

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Parking brake was supposedly disengaged. I'm pretty sure it too ties to the system. It is an auto park brake. I asked if it was plugged off but they do not know. Should I try and trace a line to the rear wheels?

Offline 82silverado

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
Sounds like the pump gave out.
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
If neither the steering nor the brakes have power assist, and you have already covered the basics previously outlined, check for restricted hoses between the pump, booster and steering gear, then check the pump.

IIRC, the autopark brake is controlled via the neutral safety switch and a logic module.  Is this in an RV?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
If neither the steering nor the brakes have power assist, and you have already covered the basics previously outlined, check for restricted hoses between the pump, booster and steering gear, then check the pump.

IIRC, the autopark brake is controlled via the neutral safety switch and a logic module.  Is this in an RV?
Yes

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 07:30:01 AM »
Removed line from pump to gearbox. Removed wire from coil and turned over engine. No change in pressure. Eventually removed pump at which time I found the problem....One of them; the shaft was spun off the pump completely, causing pulley to spin when running.

I am waiting on pump to come in. I will post again if, or rather, when there is another problem.

Thanks for the help...Really.

I sure miss my 73 camper special.

peace y'all