Author Topic: Repost: power loss issue  (Read 53234 times)

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
Repost: power loss issue
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:47:30 AM »
Okay, so I searched for any related topics before I posted so don't hate...  ;D

I recently installed a remanufactured 350/tbi all stock motor in my 87 r-10 swb. Now that I am driving it around town again, I have noticed that the tranny seems to be doing some not-so-satisfactory things.
From a stop, if I step on the gas it seems to be a slow take off, 1-2 is okay, then from 2-3 ( i think) [around 45-55mph.] it gets a little weird. It staggers and doesn't go passed 55 until I back my foot off the gas, then I re-apply the pedal and then it shifts.

I have tried this in both drive and overdrive and get the same results. The tranny got rebuilt about two years ago, but I havent put a lot of miles on it because I was taking my time on the motor swap. Should I take it back and explain? Or am I expecting too much from my 700?  ??? Because when I drive normaly, it drives good. But, if I want to get on it, it just won't go. (like a tired mule).

Offline Layne

Re: 700R4 issues...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »
Fluid ok? I'm thinking maybe tv cable, TCC or worn bands. Dunno just a shot in the dark here, but I'd check you fluid level.
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »
fluid is dead center between the full and low lines. Should I top it off? TV cable is new and adjusted according to specs. Would the bands be worn if it was recently rebuilt? Maybe I should just take it to the shop... I don't think I would be brave enough to try and troubleshoot it anyway...

Offline Layne

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
I smoked mine on a fresh rebuild (about 50 mi) b/c I didn't dial the tv in. I went from a 250 to a 400.
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
I smoked mine on a fresh rebuild (about 50 mi) b/c I didn't dial the tv in. I went from a 250 to a 400.

I adjusted the tv as explained in the haynes book:
1. push button in and push the front part that moves towards the bracket all the way.
2. Stroke the throttle to wide open and hear the adjuster click in to place.

After I didnt get any change, I tried it again,except opened the throttle with the gas pedal inside, thinking that the pedal was off in some way. No change. I have seen other posts (during my searches) that suggest the governor might need to be replaced/rebuilt... Any thoughts about that?

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »
Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
Sounds like maybe you're not getting enough fuel perhaps? I had a VW TDI that did something similar when the fuel filter was dirty. Wouldn't shift past 4th gear (6 speed auto) and I'd be stuck doing like 60, until I took my foot off the pedal and then it would shift.

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »
Sticky valve in the valve body? I had this same issue with a 700r4 years ago so used an additive to help free the sticking valve. It worked slightly and may have worked its self out in time but after a teardown and rebuild the problem was gone.

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
Update:
So i took my truck to the guy who rebuilt my tranny. We drove it around the block and he showed me that the transmission was shifting, but that the motor was not doing its part. He said it was idling kind of high and I told him I had it timed at 10 degrees behind TBC. He said that was a problem and re-timed it to zero. Picked it up the next day, still the same. I smash the gas and it does downshift, but it doesn't go anywhere. I told him about it and he said that I needed better heads because the power I am looking for is not there. I don't want a lot of hp, I just want it to use what it is suppose to have. I should be able to push down on the gas pedal and speed up. right? Should I take it back to him and have him continue troubleshooting?? I can honestly entertain the idea that it could an engine problem since I was the one who installed the motor. And the fact that it was my first time doing an removal/install. What should I do?? Any advice???

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »
If he is telling you to swap the heads because your trans is not shifting you should not be letting this guy touch your truck.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
OK this doesn't sound like a transmission issue unless the stator in the converter is bad which we can tell from you doing a stall speed test.

Before you do that let's go back to the engine:

It's a stock TBI 350? When you set the timing to zero did you make sure it was at operating temperature and the EST was in bypass mode? After you verify this clear the codes and drive it. See how it does and scan for any DTC's that return.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »
@vile,
Can you refresh my memory of where the EST is on the 87 5.7 setup with the TBI? I don't think they found it. He told me mine doesn't have one. I was there when he was looking for it, so, I know he did try. Anyway, Also, do I just disconnect the battery to clear the codes? I talked to him earlier and told him it was the same... He said to bring it back and he could check compression and the push rod position..

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
Wire thats brown with a stripe near the Master Brake booster.  A connector is in line in it, and the wire is usually outside the cluster of  the rest of the wires.

If you have TBI you have this wire....
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
dang! I found it! So, that probably means they didnt do it with it unplugged. Is that a factor. I noticed that it boggs even in park. I give it gas and it goes to about 3 or 4 thousand RPMs and then just boggs out. WTH??

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »
Warm up engine.
Shut off motor
Unplug wire.
Start motor
Time to 0* TDC.
Shut off motor.
Plug back in
Start motor.  If you have a CEL, shut down and remove the ECM fuses and put them back in.

Test drive......
'90 Suburban TBI 350