Author Topic: Truck won't rev faster than 2k without dying?  (Read 15054 times)

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
Re: Truck won't rev faster than 2k without dying?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
Vacuum lines are all connected and have good/non cracked connections, checked that when I pulled the air cleaner off to mess with the distributor. Fuel filter shouldn't be dirty because its only a few months old but was gonna check it today anyways. Fuel pump is almost 2 years old so it should be fine as well. Im thinking it could just be that solenoid grounding out from being lose.
1979 Chevy C10 Silverado package. 350/350

"Lifes a garden DIG it"

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
could you of let the distributor cap hit the fire wall when you changed the trans?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »
I don't think it did, its not broken or anything. It was running like that before my transmission got swapped out as well. The only thing that is out of the ordinary is that starter. Was running perfect one day, then later that day I was stuck going 25 mph because it would'nt rev past 2k. if you go over 2k the rpms will drop and it will die. Another time when I started it and revved it, it went to 2k the sputtered erratically then died. I don't know but im sick of it as you can imagine lol.

"Lifes a garden DIG it"

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
It has to be timing or ignition. The module may be bad even though its not very old........what brand is it?  Made in China?

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
Lol I couldn't tell you where it was made, had a shop put in the cap, rotor, module. Long story short module went out before, was the only piece of the dist top that I did not test with my old dist top stuff, so did not figure it out. However I will swap it out with my old one later on after work. I know the old one works to. You guys dont think that the starter solenoid missing screws and bouncing around under the truck could cause any of these problems? I know its keeping me from building charge back up in my battery. Thanks.

"Lifes a garden DIG it"

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
the starter has nothing to do with the rpms... the only thing its good for is to crank the engine.. think top fuel dragsters they don´t even have starters.. they use hand held removable starter at the supercharger pulley... try the module.. thats the first thing that came to my mind... but since you said you recently changed it i didn´t think much more about it... by the way dont buy a new starter just because its missing a bolt... if its cranking fine just replace/install the nut and bolt... you´ll just be spending money for no reason.. what do you mean by... keeping me from building charge back up in my battery?

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
I know it has nothing to do with rpm, it will however suck power from your battery if something is broken in there from floating around, so to speak. We had jumper cables hooked to my truck yesterday and at first it was charging, tried to start it a couple times, then the volts went all the way down. My brother was saying the other day that there were sparks coming from the starter while I was trying to start it to. I am beginning to hate those stupid ignition modules. lol

"Lifes a garden DIG it"

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
also just because something is "new" doesnt mean it cant be bad. when i worked at autozone i cant even count how many times parts came back bad

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
yeah I know that. The module that went out on me before didn't last very long either. Lol owell hopefully that is the problem so I can get rolling!

"Lifes a garden DIG it"

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
I know it has nothing to do with rpm, it will however suck power from your battery if something is broken in there from floating around, so to speak. We had jumper cables hooked to my truck yesterday and at first it was charging, tried to start it a couple times, then the volts went all the way down. My brother was saying the other day that there were sparks coming from the starter while I was trying to start it to. I am beginning to hate those stupid ignition modules. lol
woah.. seems like you have more problems with the starter than just a missing bolt... consider a rebuilt ac delco starter, personally never had a problem with them...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
does it do this no matter if the engine is cold or hot?

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
Yeah its just a cheap starter lol yeah doesnt matter if it is hot or cold

"Lifes a garden DIG it"

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
nopt sur eif i missed it before but hows the idle? and power up to 2k?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
also will it rev past 2k in park or neutral

Offline 79brent

• Registered Users
  • Shake and Bake!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
Idle is fine unless I give it  lot of gas and let it back down. Like it is not burning the right amount of fuel and flooding. No sir, no better in park or neutral. That is how it runs no matter what, however, it is a little worse under load. No time to tinker today. Almost the end of the week and im beat.

"Lifes a garden DIG it"