Author Topic: Vortec 5.3 install on my 84 C10  (Read 104125 times)

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
Re: Vortec 5.3 install from start to finish
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
Here's a update so far...
Pulled the truck out of the field

The tear down

Here is my pile of stuff i pulled for scrap

Junk buildup on the old motor and trans... was able to stick a screw driver in it and it stick

A word of advice, pressure wash your motor if its a drop out before you break it down, There was fathoms of junk under the intake mani that almost got into my valleys. had to clean them out with a compact vacuum.
All that black stuff on the ground was on my motor under the mani..

After cleaning for 20 min.

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
Ok a few issues I'm having. two I need help on, the other i can handle but it slows me down.

First, My new 4L60E trans looks like it has a different mount then the stock old 400 did. am i just seeing things or will i need a adapter?
second, My motor mount adapter plates go too far forward and hit my A/C mount and pump. The Trandapt instructions said this may happen and I may need to modify my A/C mount. Does anyone know how to fix this? I want to keep my A/C plus the belt tensioner is on this mount.
Here is a pic..

Thats the motor plate (black) and the A/C mount (grey) with the pump removed.

last and worst problem is my crossmember that supports the engine is cracked where the motor mounts sit.

Both sides are cracked, I'll have to grind a bevel and weld it up. Is this common on these trucks?

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
just pull it and get a high mount bracket later. We use KwiK performance. for the trans, if it doesnt work, just start modifying. you may have to give your firewall some love depending on if those plates are setbacks or not, keep that in mind before painting anything.
official go'fer/ broom pusher/ token fat guy of www.yatesefi.com

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »
I have dealt with Bow Auto dozens of times. They have always been strait up with me.
Looking like a long way to go, and a short time to get there!
Good luck.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
Pull what for a high bracket? the ac?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Yes the AC, you are going to end up grinding half of the frame down to attempt to make it work and then you will realize you need a bunch of specialty fittings to get around it all.  Look at my install. I used Novaks mounts that utilite the same type compressor that came on the 87 up Serp setups.

See here:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,12120.msg188740.html#msg188740

The Trans mounts should be similar depending on what year it came out of, it they don't match, unbolt the one off the TH400 and bolt it to the 4L60E.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:27:46 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
Ok thanks man, anyone know if my original radiator will be efficient enough to cool that 5.3

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
Anyone savvy on where i can get high pressure fuel lines?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:07 PM »
What kind of radiator does it currently have?  What motor did it come with?  I would get a Diesel replacement Aluminum radiator if yours is anything but a standard duty.

I get all my fuel line from Pure-Choice.  I would make sure you get teflon lined where ever you get it.

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
I dont know how to figure out if my engine was a standard duty or heavy duty. And my truck came originally with a 305 V8 so it had whatever radiator that came standard with that. I'll check out pure choice, thanks for the advice. The build got pushed behind because I broke my bell housing... twice, while trying to marry the engine to the trans. I am in a very rural area so parts are hard to come by sometimes. I've got the new tank mounted and will post pics of it soon.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »
fragola fuel line. chris did you use factory hoses with a stock radiator or swap radiators?

we run dual passes because it puts the inlet and outlet on the same side of the radiator, cleaner install and they cool really well.

what are you doing with your steam tube?
official go'fer/ broom pusher/ token fat guy of www.yatesefi.com

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »
Got my tank mounted, will have the fill hole go thru the center of the bed with a gas lid custom fitted laying horizontal

Busted my bell housing trying to marry my engine trans, believe it was because i didnt have a trans jack so the weight was being bared by the bell housing before it was completely mounted.

As a result i had to swap it with a new bell housing. the bolts where VERY stubborn coming out even with heat and a impact I stripped two. Which made me resort to busting the housing off with a sludge hammer. The new bell housing is better anyways cause it has a 12 O clock bolt hole to match my engine better.

Here is the engine partially unwired with new motor mount adapters and mounts.

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
You may want to read my R10 Project post.  I am documenting everything from the time the 305/70R4 came out to the time the motor cranks.  Of course I am doing this outside like a run of the mill swap would go and I only have the weekends to work on it...  Man I need my garage back.

I'd like to go check that out some time. While Earl's just going to get some re-sealing and re-wiring done for the near future, I'm really jonesing to drop something a little more modern under the hood, and would be a lot more comfortable with it if I saw it first hand.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
I would recommend The LS mounts from DirtyDingo. The owner, Brent, is my mom's new husband's friend. His shop is like 4 miles from my house. I got to check out all of his LS parts and mods and a couple of his own vehicles. The mounts are fully adjustable forward and back so you would be able to get them out of the way of the AC bracket.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline Skyshadow

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
^ wish i heard about those before i bought and bolted up my current ones :I I'll have to just go with th hgh mount A/C bracket, if i can fid the right one.