Author Topic: Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers: Good or Bad?  (Read 9558 times)

Offline truck1974

Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers: Good or Bad?
« on: March 31, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »
I just put on a set of Dynomax super turbo mufflers on my 76 Dually 4dr.  I also installed headers.  It's a 454, 4spd truck.  I was suprised at how quiet they are.  I've had flowmasters and wanted to try something different.  Nothing wrong with flowmasters just didn't want it to be as loud.  
Has anyone used these Dynomax super turbo mufflers?  Do they "burn out" after a while and get any louder?  I suppose the fact that my motor is stock, it makes it quiet.  I'm sure a little bigger cam would wake up the volume.  Amyone have any experiences with these mufflers.

Thanks, Matt.

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

Re: Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers: Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »
I have run them in the past on cars. The last one was a Monte Carlo SS. It was kinda loud but did not seem to get louder. I have Dynomax Hemi super turbo's on my Caprice. They are alot quieter than the standard super turbos. Also I have not used them with "Cats" . They will quiet them down too.
RH

Offline stepside454

dynomax
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
I love the dynomax super turbos, I have em behind my 454 in my truck. I had flowmasters on 2 diffferant vehicles & swithched em for super turbos  the flowmaster sound gets real annoying after awhile. as far as performance, in my old 76 C-10, basically same 1/4 mile performance with either muffler...so Ill take the one that makes less noise anyday.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: dynomax
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
I have ran Dynomax Super Turbos on all my vehicles in the past.  The only one I haven't so far is the Jimmy I am putting together and it has a magnaflow.  I haven't ever "blow out" the dynomax mufflers.  With my motor it got a little louder with more rpms, but was very livable and sounds the best in my opinion.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
dynomax
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
open headers sound best of all.:D  put some on there and run 'em open and you'll be alright.

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
I had some no-name (ICP?) turbos on my truck when I bought it.  Truck has a mild 350, headers, true 2 1/4" duals, h pipe and no cats. It was quiet! Too quiet for a truck with headers, true duals and no cats! I had a Dakota R/T with a gutted 3" cat, 3" single exhaust to a 3" in/ dual 2.5" out Flowmaster 50 series and 2.5" pipes. THAT was loud.  I since changed those mufflers to a pair of Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers (which were factory equipment on 98 and 99 Dakota R/Ts so I got them wicked cheap ;)  ) and it really woke up the sound. Now I get a nice classic rapping sound on accel over 3000 RPM and a decent grumble otherwise. And they aren't really boomy either. My Flowmaster sounded good under power but really popped and sputtered on decel which I hated.

Size of pipes have a lot to do with that too. Larger pipes = louder sound.

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
dynomax
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
not stealing this topic or anything but i just ordered some Flowtech Raptors from O'Reilly's. i have headers 2 and 1/4 inch pipe with these raptors mufflers i'm getting and i'm going have a 3" turndown. will the 3" turndown behind the muffler make a difference in sound? i would think it would because instead of having a 2 and 1/4" turndown i'll have a 3" turndown which will be larger and have a louder sound when exiting the muffler...right?

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
Turndowns always increase noise. And with a 3", you'll have noise and lots of it. It will be loud. And probably quite boomy in the cab. The sound waves reflect off the road and then the bottom of the truck so if loud is what you want, you'll get it!

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »
I loke Super Trubos, but my 350 in my 78 happily blew the rear sections off when I revved it to get going on the highway.  It did not backfire It just revved, shifted and VROOM!  No more rear section.  Sounded cool until the local gas station sold me watered down gas, now it cuts out while driving as the fuel is sloshing and mixing with water.  I do like wide open headers though.  Unfortunately, my 76 got that after I parted with it and the heads are crap now.