Author Topic: tranny probs and ???'s help!  (Read 1796 times)

Offline mikeith

• Registered Users
tranny probs and ???'s help!
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:38:44 PM »
ok so i basicalyy got bent over by a shop like a month ago and i'm STILL having problems! you guys remember tht part about the driveshaft comin out right! well he wouldnt pay to replace it so i had to... then i got it in and got home and the next day there was a huge leak under my tranny... after takin a look i notice the governer isn't on good... so i put it on right and all is well right.... wrong! i've been drivin it for a week no leaks  or anything but i get in today and back up and there is a puddle of tranny fluid... so i squeeze myself under the truck and the tranny is completely dry... but the front u-joint is soaked in tranny fluid, but the rear seal aroung the front yoke is dry... i crank the truck up and the fluid shows to be low but im not worried since the truck is still cold.... so i drive it to work and check it again and it shows to be full... so this makes me think that when i cousin was helpin me last week he overfilled it ??? is there some kinda overflow that runs through the yoke? and if so why did it take a week for the excess fluid to drain out like it did?!?!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: tranny probs and ???'s help!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:31:21 PM »
Are you saying fluid is leaking out of the driveshaft? If the fluid level is correct there is a hole that passes all the way through some of the driveshaft front yokes on these trucks. Just RTV the hole in the center and you'll be all set.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: tranny probs and ???'s help!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:53:39 PM »
this is what Vile is describing...  It is usually cause by someone rebuilding the trans and not putting that o-ring in there.
Did you change yokes when they had it?
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/yokeleak.htm