Author Topic: CYBERDYNE TACH/SPEEDO COMBO REVIEW:  (Read 7566 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

CYBERDYNE TACH/SPEEDO COMBO REVIEW:
« on: May 05, 2008, 07:37:52 PM »
So anyways, i finally got the digital tach/speedo from Cyberdyne installed.  It took a while due to a)being busy and b) i wanted to do a neat(er) installation than previous attempts and the actual installation took over week.

i didn't want to drill into the dash, so i settled on the ashtray door as you can see here;  The bracket slides neatly in place and doesn't move around even on bumpy roads.

These aren't the best pictures, and i'll try to get you a night shot, but you could probably use your imagination.

Also, the wiring job is not exactly where i wanted it to be as far as neatness goes, but it's miles above my previous jobs;  i would actually use the box the gauge came in as the means to mount it!

NOTES: 1) Finding someone who makes/sells a 3-3/8" gauge bracket is difficult, so i went online a bought one from a specialty gauge store for $29.  So i, in addition to the $150 gauge, spent another 29 on a bracket just to find out my mpg. How smart was that?

2) No-one really makes one of those A-pillar dash pods for the 73-91 trucks.

So, for you entreprenurial types, hintity, hint, hint..........

Anyways, on to the gauge:
Installation is pretty straigtforward---if you know what you're doing. i didn't have too much trouble because i'm learning about electricty, connections, wire gages, splicing etc.

The problem comes when you try to calibrate the thing;  What the instructions say, and by the way, the instructions really were not that good--kinda 1/2 azzed and zeroxed. What the instructions say to do is to make sure the vehicle is traveling at 45mph by following a friend in their car and have them signal when they are going 45.  Then you hold the calibration button for one second.

Several problems here;  1) Are they out of their minds?  2) the whole reason for getting the gauge is to insure that your speed is precise;  how do you know your friend's cars are anymore precise than your own stock gauge?  3) what do you do if no friend's available or they are unwilling to help ( i wouldn't blame them).

So what i did was, fortunately, there is one of those radar speed signs near my apartment--the one's that say "YOUR SPEED IS----"  And i was able to utilize that.  But what happens if there are no such signs near you?

This method of calibration was not disclosed in any of their advertisments or on their website.  Autometer  also has digital gauges and you might be better off with their's;  Their calibration is much more straightfoward;  You use miles markers and press the button from a standstill and the press it again exactly as you pass the third one.

Now, i have to say that once you do manage to calibrate the Cyberdyne unit, it is very accurate.  It also has a few features that i did not know about until i recieved the gauge and read the instructions.  Such as built-in 0-60 and 1/4mile timers.  Also, shift light, high rpm recall, high speed recall, trip odometer.

i choose the cyberdyne unit because i had tachs and temp gauges from them i was happy with it, plus i just like the looks of it.  The autometer combo gauge is more expensive-----$250 vs. $150 for the cyberdyne. Plus, i don't think the autometer comes with as many extra features.  But the autometer is probably higher quality.

Re: CYBERDYNE TACH/SPEEDO COMBO REVIEW:
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »
P.S. i forgot to add this video of cyberdyne gauges i found on "the tube."  Caution: There's some cussing on it, so i apologize in advance on their behalf.  Maybe turn the volume down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcMT2Sdc5Q

Concerns:
1) i like venturas in that they are essentially novas.  So they probably got a good deal on the car--they're essentially getting a nova but paying below nova prices.

2) They have apparently replaced the stock leaf-spring suspension with a 3-link ladder bar system.  i personally, do not feel this is such a good idea for a street driven vehicle, but apparently it handles well as evidenced in their other videos.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »
Nice Scotch lock job stewart. You need to invest $10 bucks in a soldering iron. If you want to check your speedo accuracy kill 2 birds and get yourself a decent GPS.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »
See, what happened was i ran out of posi-lock connectors (i love those things) and then i ran out of conventional butt connectors and Cyberdyne, for some reason, included alot of those tap-connectors in the box---i still have at least 6 left over (?).  So, i said what the heck and decided to use those instead of buying more connectors.  Now, in the instances that i used regular butt connectors, i also used shrinkwrap, so it turned out ok.

http://posi-lock.com/posilock.html

AS far as the gps thing, i found out (too late) that Nordskog has a nice gps speedo, but it's $500 some dollars.  In retrospect, it probably would have been better just to go with the gps unit, but i was trying to be cheap about it.  But it would have saved a heck of alot of time if i had.

Anyways, since i got this cyberdyne unit installed, i'm pretty happy with it.

Offline frogman68

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:00:59 AM »
why not go down the highway at 60 mph and see if it takes you one minute to cover a mile (using the mile markers on the side of the road)??

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »
Yes, i've checked the unit against the mile markers and it's very accurate. 

So now i can finally report on my mpg.  i haven't run a full tank with this new speedo, but preliminary findings are not too astounding-----15.46 to 15.47ish per gallon so far.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
So anyways, please comment on the use of a ladder bar (3-link) suspension on a street car.  This was in the above video link.

Remember, that the axle brackets are welded directly to the axle housing and thus, this setup doesn't, at least it appears to me, allow the body to roll.