Author Topic: 14 bolt brake hard lines  (Read 7045 times)

Offline jhiggin

14 bolt brake hard lines
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
So I've got my 14 bolt sf stripped down now and the original brake line has a pinch in it. I'm really not interested in bending hard line myself I'd rather buy a prevent set for the rear or even just if there was a rubber alternative but I can't seem to find anything. None of the parts stores around seem to sell it. Any help???

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 14 bolt brake hard lines
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
theres only a couple bends in the line and you can bend it with your hands with no special tools. i really dont think anyone makes pre-bent line for the axles and i think its your only answer
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jhiggin

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
Shoot. That's what I was afraid of. I guess it's time to start practicing

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
It is not that hard to bend brake line by hand. I bought a couple of hand benders at O'reillys to do mine. I never could use the cheap one but the nice pliers type works real well. Those cost $20 I believe. 

You can also bend the line over the screw part of a vise between the handle and the vice itself. I used the round part of my vice more than anything else to bend the brake line. Just make sure you rent the double flare tool in case you have to cut the line too.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:11:37 AM »
you dont even need benders -the sell hard line with a steel wire wrapped around it which makes bending by hand super easy -so easy you would have to really try to mess it up
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline shaggy72

• New Users
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 12:44:53 AM »
I just replaced mine on my 85. Used my hands to do all of the bends. Not hard at all

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 05:01:12 AM »
If you use the copper alloy line that's been out for a few years now its almost impossible to kink.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 08:30:43 AM »
You could also cut out the kink with a tubing cutter and then use a brass compression coupler to join the two pieces back together.

1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 01:42:04 AM »
Compression fittings are a no no for safety reasons. That being said I've used them and got away with it but its not advised

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »
Compression fittings are at best for getting you home. They are illegal in N.H. 
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
AFAIK compression fittings are illegal in juice brake systems on any roadway vehicle in the US.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Dr_Snooz

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »
Okay, riddle me this. Let's just say, hypothetically, that a guy has a classic Honda with brake lines that leak at the flare fittings in the proportioning valve. The hard lines need to be replaced. The prop valve is on the firewall in the engine compartment and the hard lines pass through the firewall, run under the passenger seats and back out the fender wells to the rear brakes. Assuming that this guy doesn't want to disassemble half the car to replace those hard lines in their entirety, what can he do?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
Ahhh!  The hidden costs of owning a vehicle.  Who hasn't encountered the mindlessness of present day manufacturing? 

Don't lament about it.  Repair the brake system safely, legally, properly.  For instance, if there's access to cut out the bad section, double flare the end of the section that remains in the vehicle and use an inverted flare union to join the lines.  Otherwise, take the vehicle to a licensed shop who can.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »
the problem isnt using a compression fitting but the fact theyre only secured by how tight you compress the fitting. so don't do it cause one might think they tighten it down good enough and it doesnt leak but it migh come apart when you have to do an "emergency brake". theres nothing like a double flare to really secure the line in the inverted flare union
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:00:09 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Dr_Snooz

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »
Ahhh!  The hidden costs of owning a vehicle.  Who hasn't encountered the mindlessness of present day manufacturing? 

Don't lament about it.  Repair the brake system safely, legally, properly.  For instance, if there's access to cut out the bad section, double flare the end of the section that remains in the vehicle and use an inverted flare union to join the lines.  Otherwise, take the vehicle to a licensed shop who can.

Ah. Didn't know about those. Thanks! Now I can get my car running again.

...er, I mean that hypothetical guy can get his car running again. Hypothetically, of course.

So the OP could conceivably do the same thing on his brake line?