Author Topic: What spark plugs and wires do you all use?  (Read 7681 times)

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
What spark plugs and wires do you all use?
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
I've been looking around and I'm not exactly sure which wire set and plugs to go with XD This is on my 83 gmc sierra with a 305. The Accel brand seems to just have yellow wires, which I think I'll have to pass on. Been looking at MSD plugs and wires.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Re: What spark plugs and wires do you all use?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
Factory AC Delco.  (For plugs)
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
Don't spend your money on MSD for an otherwise stock build unless you just want the pretty red wires.  Use ACDelco CR43TS spark plugs, gapped at 0.045" (R45TS if burning oil) and a 9608E wire set.  Apply a sparing smear of silicone dielectric grease (e.g., GM 12345579 or similar product) inside the spark plug boots and distributor cap boots during installation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:57:10 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
Not to jump in, but bd whats the diff between those two plugs?
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
The CR43TS has a copper core giving it a slightly broader heat range.  It also is a cooler running plug than the R45TS.

Breaking down the part number:
  • "C" = copper core (provides quicker heat transfer away from the center electrode through the insulator and shell into the cylinder head, which effectively broadens the working heat range of the plug)

• "R" = resistor (a resistor is incorporated into the core of the plug to provide RFI suppression)

• "43" = the heat range of the plug (with regard to ACDelco, the lower the number, the cooler the plug... the greater its effectiveness in transferring heat through the shell threads and seat into the cylinder head)

• "T" = taper seat (the style of shell sealing against the cylinder head - the taper seat design transfers heat better, creates a more compact package, and is less expensive to manufacture than a flat gasket seat)

• "S" = extended tip center electrode (an extended tip electrode projects further into the combustion chamber for improved ignition of lean air/fuel mixtures due to better positioning of the spark, receives improved cleaning of the electrodes and insulator through unshrouded exposure to turbulent combustion heat, and is more effectively cooled by the incoming rush of the intake charge, which again broadens the effective heat range of the plug)

During the mid-1980's GM pushed substituting the CR43TS for the R45TS at the dealership level to help address mild detonation and driveability issues.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:16:08 PM by bd »
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »
The original R45TS spark plugs run notably hot and are more prone to engine ping.  I think GM used the hotter plug approach to compensate for minor oil entering the combustion chambers over the life of their engines - decreasing warranty challenges.  The hotter running plug tends to burn the oil off of the electrodes and insulator for decreased deposit buildup and extended spark plug service life with fewer warranty claims.

Gauging correct spark plug heat range is based on observing the color and appearance of the insulator above the foot of the shell where it is shrouded by the shell and by inspecting the position of the abrupt color change from black to white on the side electrode.  Optimally, the color change should occur near the bend of the side electrode.  Most R45TS plugs change color where the side electrode attaches to the foot of the shell.  That's too hot.  Substituting a CR43TS pushes the color change a little closer toward the bend.  However, I don't recommend the substitution for any engine puffing blue smoke.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:34:40 PM by bd »
Rich

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
What spark plugs and wires do you all use?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:13:24 PM »
I have a new crate gm 350, guess i'll be using the "CR".

Thanks for the spark plug lesson, good info.

I just checked my notes, VZ had me get the cr45ts when we (he) installed the new engine. So i'm good.

Again, not to jump in M3talc0re's post.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:19:37 PM by philo_beddoe »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »
not to brag or anything but i dont use spark plugs or wires in my crew cab anymore
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
Alright, so I don't really need the MSD crap, how about these wires instead? https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL700251

From what I can tell, they're made in the USA, the ACDelco wires are China crap. I have an aversion to buying anything made in China and I try to avoid it -_-

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
Avoid Junk china parts!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
no love for autolite plugs?
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
Aren't autolite ford?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 06:59:29 AM »
they're ford, but ive heard a lot of people say "autolites run better in GMC and ACs run better in fords"
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 07:48:54 AM »
I can't remember the last time I did a tune up on a V-8 but I used Autolite and had great success.  I ran them in my race car.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »
Aren't autolite ford?

Worse---they're owned by fram.

i think ford use to own Autolite.    i think Motorcraft is ford's parts brand.