Author Topic: Comprehensive list  (Read 3875 times)

Offline chiefmiller84

Comprehensive list
« on: May 28, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
Currently i'm running a 307 from 1969 and I have to put a qt of oil every other month or so in her. I should be coming into a little bit of money soon and the mrs said I could use it to do a swap. I'm wanting to go full Fuel injection so i'm looking around for an LM7 at local junkyards complete with harness. Those seem to be cheaper than your LS engines these days. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive list of everything I would need going into it. Motor mounts, headers, fuel pump, etc... I've done quite a bit of research, but no one seems to have an all out list of what you need to accomplish this. I just read some posts about getting an 87 fuel tank and replacing the pump. I was thinking of switching to a suburban or blazer tank in between the rear frame rails. I assume the harness and ecm would have to be flashed/reset also.

I currently have a 700R4 (I believe to be original and will need a rebuild soon) in it, but if the price is right I may be able to snag a 4L60 if it's already mounted to it. Basically, I'm looking at getting everything roundabout priced out before I get started. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so this shouldn't be that hard to do. Does anyone have anything like this that would help me?

Oh, I have an 83 SWB c10. I plan to drop it in the future too, don't know if that matters.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Offline chiefmiller84

Re: Comprehensive list
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/6100942634.html

Found this, but like I said i'm unsure of what else i'll need.

Offline roundhouse

Comprehensive list
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Not sure what a LM7 is
But usually the cheapest way is to buy a wrecked donor vehicle usually a wrecked Tahoe or burb is cheaper than a pickup
And take what you need and sell off the rest
If you have space for it, you can get most of what you paid for the donor car back in parts and the engine is almost free

If you want an automatic I'd keep whatever Trans comes with the LS

We bought just the engine and harness for $550
Sent the computer to
"Team208 Motorsports "
http://www.team208motorsports.com

If o had it to do over again id send the harness too

The harness comes back with a fuse box and three or four wires to hook up

Everyone does it differently
We used the 87 tank and late model pump
Lot of people use a blazer or burb tank but then you lose the spare tire
And a NV-3500 five speed manual

We used late model Camaro exhaust manifolds
Dirty dingo engine mounts and you will also need some aftermarket mounts to move the AC compressor up top
On the LS motor the AC is montes on the bottom and it will hit the frame rail on your truck

We are getting ready to install the vintage air AC

I'd recommend using the auto Trans that comes behind the LS
If you try to get the computer from one truck  and the harness from another and the transmission from another truck , you're just asking for trouble

A 2WD makes it easier since you don't have to adapt it to a transfer case and buy TWO new driveshafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:57:51 PM by roundhouse »

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
Not sure what a LM7 is
But usually the cheapest way is to buy a wrecked donor vehicle usually a wrecked Tahoe or burb is cheaper than a pickup
If you have space for it, you can get most of what you paid for the donor car back in parts and the engine is almost free

Sent the computer to
"Team208 Motorsports "

Dirty dingo engine mounts and you will also need some aftermarket mounts to move the AC compressor up top
On the LS motor the AC is montes on the bottom and it will hit the frame rail on your truck

If you try to get the computer from one truck  and the harness from another and the transmission from another truck , you're just asking for trouble

A 2WD makes it easier since you don't have to adapt it to a transfer case and buy TWO new driveshafts

Awesome, thanks man!! I appreciate the help. I went through most of the LS Swap posts after I posted this too.
I wanted to go with the burb or blazer tank because I wanted to route the exhaust there like in this picture.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
There is a list attached to the first post here:  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=28237.0

And we expanded on it.

An LM7 is a LS engine BTW it is the Base motor for 1999-2007 trucks basically.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:48:45 PM »
Not sure what a LM7 is

Sent the computer to
"Team208 Motorsports "

Awesome, thanks man!! I appreciate the help. I went through most of the LS Swap posts after I posted this too.
I wanted to go with the burb or blazer tank because I wanted to route the exhaust there like in this picture.

I e seen a couple people use a Ford Ranger tank inside the frame rails
Chevrolet actually was planning on retrofitting Ranger tanks inside the frame when they thought the fedgov was going to force them to recall all the squares and retrofit the side saddle tanks

A Toyota 4Runner tank might fit inside the rails , since it fits inside the rails on the 4 runner

I just don't want to drive around without a spare tire

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:49:56 PM »
Not sure what a LM7 is

Sent the computer to
"Team208 Motorsports "

I e seen a couple people use a Ford Ranger tank inside the frame rails
Chevrolet actually was planning on retrofitting Ranger tanks inside the frame when they thought the fedgov was going to force them to recall all the squares and retrofit the side saddle tanks

A Toyota 4Runner tank might fit inside the rails , since it fits inside the rails on the 4 runner

I just don't want to drive around without a spare tire

Plan was to move the spare tire to the inside of the bed on the front left corner.