Author Topic: Radiator replacement  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Junkie

Radiator replacement
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »
Truck is a '73 C20, 350. Just noticed a leak in the radiator. Any suggestions? Could probably use a new set of hoses too, suggestions there would be appreciated as well.
1973 C20, 350/350

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Radiator replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
Any parts store should be able to supply you with all the parts you need.

Offline Junkie

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
Oreilly wanted to sell me a radiator with plastic end tanks, which I'd like to stay away from. I'd much prefer online to plastic parts.
1973 C20, 350/350

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
I have had no issues with plastic tank radiators.  They should be able to source a metal one also.

Offline 76LongBox

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
I had one of the brass/copper radiators from O'Reilly from about 10 years ago that developed a leak recently.  It carried a lifetime warranty, so I went to my local store to swap, and their "comparable" swap was for a single core aluminum and plastic model.  It also carries a lifetime warranty, so I decided to give it a try.  So far, it's doing fine.  The real test will be next summer...if it doesn't keep it cool enough, I'll see if the store will let me "trade up" to the one like I had before, which is now a MUCH more expensive option.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 12:22:20 PM »
Curious, If you had a lifetime warranty on the one you removed why didn't you ask for an exact replacement if they had it?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
I was wondering the same thing....
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 76LongBox

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
A couple of factors played into me not pressing the issue, the main one of which was that I needed that day, and they didn't have the old style in stock locally.  The other was that the manager of the local store basically told me that the warranty would cover replacement with a "comparable" part.  O'Reilly's powers-that-be at some point had changed the part # of the old style to something different, and replaced that part # with the plastic/aluminum model, so when they looked up my old part #, this is the one that came up as the replacement part.

Again, I could probably have pressed the issue and made them replace with exactly the same thing, but I needed it that day, and they didn't have it locally.  Hopefully I will not come to regret it.

One thing positive that I will say about the plastic/aluminum one is that it was a bit easier to handle and install, as it is quite a bit lighter weight...and it held less antifreeze (which, as long as it cools properly, will be a good thing).

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 04:56:44 AM »
A leak will be easy for a local radatior shop to fix

Ours was clogged up
Requiring a replacement

We got the aluminum and plastic
Haven't had any problems so far

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »
My last radiator only cost me $139 from speedway motors. It's a 19"x31"x3" It doesn't fit in the factory location but you will not need any more cooling capabilities. also it doesn't have a built in tranny cooler so you would need to get an external one. They have factory replacements for fairly cheap that will be a direct swap and are of real good quality. If you got to speedwaymotors.com you can select every dimension of the radiator to fit where you want it. And as everyone else said, you can get one from any autoparts store but I have alway ha issues with quality control for their suppliers.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart