Author Topic: air cleaner riser/spacer  (Read 4701 times)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
air cleaner riser/spacer
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:45:20 AM »
I have an aftermarket air cleaner assembly on my 85 k10 with a qjet and have a couple of plastic ring risers that you get from advance/auto zone to keep it up, so it seats properly.  They keep melting and someone had said that the old g series vans had metal rings I could probably use.

Has anyone done this?  What exactly are these called and does someone carry these for order?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:26:02 AM by cwilson jr »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: carb. riser
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:38:28 AM »
How hot is the truck getting to melt the plastic?

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »
Look for just about ANY TBI Chevy at the wreckers - they all use a spacer (vans are the tallest).
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.

Offline timthescarrd

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »
Are you saying something like this
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mr.-gasket-phenolic-thermal-insulating-carburetor-spacer-3406/22901572-P?searchTerm=spacer
and it's melting it?

Ignore that, just re-read the post and realized you meant an air-cleaner spacer.  If it's melting, that sounds like your carb or underhood is getting far hotter than it should
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:24:34 AM by timthescarrd »

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »
I don't want to make it sound like they're incenerating, but they melt at the bottom where they touch the carb a bit and over time become unlevel.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »
they shouldn't melt at all even a tad. the carb spacer that tim posted touches the intake and it doesnt melt. maybe wear due to the fact of not being tight
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
Re: air cleaner riser
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 04:24:34 AM »
I have updated the title, to avoid further confusion.  I am referring to the cheap plastic ring spacers that rise an aftermarket air cleaner assembly.

a lot of older vehicles aren't around the yards up here, and the ones that are have been raped.  I don't know if someone knows if they specifically came on a certain year and make, I can do a search and possibly order something that will work.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: air cleaner riser/spacer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
i understood what you meant but was saying the carb spacer is closer to engine heat and it doesnt melt
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:04 AM »
can you provide a pic?

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
I got my spacer from an 89 suburban,its metal,some later tbis went to plastic but I don't remember what year that was

Offline jetmech

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
I have had those cheap plastic spacers deform from heat also. Prob. from heat crossover on the intake manifold and the cleaner bottom actually forms an inverted bowl to hold the heat. Found a metal one from a '87 tbi truck but finally bought a complete cleaner assy. from Summit that the bottom is flat and doesn't hit the carb. Looks good on our trucks with plenty of hood clearance. I think it was in the $50.00 price range and included a washable filter.
'86 Sub and '86 SWB C-10
1990 454 SS