Author Topic: Carb spacer questions!  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
Carb spacer questions!
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
I heard through the grape vine that a carb spacer will help with a mild hp/torque increase as well as a possible increase in mileage. My current setup is a 350/Edelbrock performer intake/Edelbrock 600 performer; will adding a 1" spacer mean I have to re-adjust my TV cable, or throttle cable? Also what else should I consider when choosing a spacer?
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
Re: Carb spacer questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
I tried a phenolic (plastic) carb spacer on a 350 with a Holley once. You could use with with an insert that had 4 holes or you could pull it out and use it with one big square hole. Tried it both ways and it actually lost power. One thing that seemed to help on my current ride is a TBI spacer between the carb and the air filter housing. I took it off an Astro van at pull-a-part. It's about 2 inches tall. I paid $1.00 for it.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
i put a 3" on mine a while back noticed better performance and mpg. took it off because it cracked and couldnt get it to seat right and i was leaking gas out the base. just never put one back on
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 78C10 sleeper

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »
Well I have a 2in under my holley 750 plus a 1/4in nitrous filled plate but im going for hi rpm hp but I did have a good improvement in throttle response and hp I would say get a open 1in and just try it u can get a kegs one for around 25$

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »
     I have had 3 in the past on different vehicles.  All were metal and all created a swirling pattern to the air.
     The theory is to get the air moving faster to mix better with the atomized fuel, the better mix, the better and hotter burn, with less wasted fuel ( less fuel vapor ).  You get better mix and better burn, translate to better MPG, HP, and Torque.
     That is only one step though, add to that better flow of incoming air and better exit of exhaust, you will really see a difference on vehicles that can use a boost.
      With that said, I have also tried it on a lower HP vehicle and it did not make enough of a difference for the price of the parts.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
What brand were those?
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline 86silver

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
I had to use an Edelbrock phenolic 1" spacer as I was having consistent issues with vapor lock.  I tried an aluminum spacer but that heats up too and you're right back to vapor lock.  I tried a large square hole spacer but it ran like crap, Edelbrock truck support told me that a large hole spacer on a 4 barrel carb throws off the air/fuel mix ratio and causes issues...so I went with the 4 holer....life is good.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »
86 the problem i see with that is your putting more metal in between the heat (engine) and carb. the more metal you have the more surface area you have to dissipate the heat. i would think you either didnt properly tune your carb after the spacer running you lean or you had a vacuum leak causing you to run lean. but i dont know what your truck was doing
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »
Just a thought, I have the tools and equipment to make one myself out of aluminum. Would it be necessary to add a spiral groove down each port to funnel the AF mix? That's the one thing I couldn't do.
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
Not necessary.