Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by Mike81K10 on Today at 06:30:15 PM »
Did not have much time to get a lot done today. However, I installed my intake and used Loctite 518 Anaerobic Gasket Maker 2096059 with the spray activator on the four corners were the gaskets meet. Usually use Permatex Silicone gasket maker and sealer on that. My valve cover gaskets is a little thick and will need to get some mounting hardware for them, cannot use the OEM I have.
Instrumentation / Re: Another gas gauge/ speedo question.
« Last post by bd on Today at 05:58:54 PM »
When the gauge wire is disconnected from the sender with the ignition switched ON, the fuel gauge needle should swing WELL PAST FULL TO THE 3:00 O'CLOCK POSITION.  When you ground the sender wire the gauge should quickly drop to EMPTY.

Did you do this ^^^^^?  This is a grassroots "test" that should tell you whether the fuel gauge is any good.
« Last post by Jimartina on Today at 05:02:27 PM »
Might need to test it with sender out of the tank. Use some jumper wires between sender terminals and Truck harness and move sending unit arm up and down. Should tell you if it's dash gauge or not.
I took it out of the tank and hooked it back to the harness. No matter what position I put it in over 1/4 tank it still would only read 1/4. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

« Last post by Jimartina on Today at 05:01:16 PM »
I tested it in the tank and out the tank. ... I know the gage will go to full because if the wires are disconnected it defaults to full. ...

When the gauge wire is disconnected from the sender with the ignition switched ON, the fuel gauge needle should swing well past FULL to the 3:00 o'clock position.  When you ground the sender wire the gauge should quickly drop to EMPTY.

You can also perform a rudimentary check on the sending unit if you have a decent ohmmeter.  With the sender float in its lowest position (EMPTY) an ohmmeter with its leads clipped to the sending unit frame and sender wire pin terminal should indicate ~0 Ohm.  Moving the float to its highest position (FULL) the ohmmeter should indicate ~90 Ohms; midway (1/2 Tank) it should indicate ~45 Ohms.

If the sender float is closed cell nitrophyl foam, give it a firm squeeze between your finger and thumb nail.  If the float oozes fuel when squeezed, the float is saturated and the sender should be replaced with another brand that uses better quality materials.
dang wish I had this ohm info before I re installed the tank. Lol. I will try that next time I take it out. The sending u it float is plastic. (Got it from NAPA)  Seems to float fine. It just won't read over 1/4 tank.  I did move the float to many positions with the truck on and it never would read over 1/4 but less than 1/4 works as it should.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Interior & Equipment / Re: 1986 Courtesy under dash light
« Last post by Jeff86inMS on Today at 11:14:43 AM »
I will look and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interior & Equipment / Re: 1986 Courtesy under dash light
« Last post by bd on Today at 11:13:21 AM »
Two styles of socket were used for courtesy lamps.  Do the number of contacts on the bottom of the LED match the number of contacts in the bottom of the socket?  If the bulb has two contacts that match the socket, try rotating the LED 180°.
Fuel Systems and Drivability / Re: Holley Sniper?
« Last post by Mr Diesel on Today at 10:10:08 AM »
I'm skeptical the version 2 will be better. For years the version 1 was heavily advertised as the greatest thing since sliced bread  Holley invested a lot in magazine articles to push this system. I scoured the internet for a long time reading real-world reviews and the overall consensus was very negative with too many pesky system problems. I had been considering it myself for some time but the internet talked me out of it. I also see a LOT of barely used systems for sale on Marketplace in my area. Seems pretty common for people to install them, discover how awful they are, and abandon for a different system or carb. There are some success stories out there, but I've noticed most of them haven't been using the system for long.
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by Shifty on Today at 09:48:54 AM »
Almost too pretty to cover up, eh?  8)
Fuel Systems and Drivability / Re: Holley Sniper?
« Last post by Shifty on Today at 09:47:57 AM »
Senor Murphy just having his way with you.... ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10