Author Topic: 1985 c10 instrument panel lights not working  (Read 15077 times)

Offline droe71

1985 c10 instrument panel lights not working
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »
Hi and a Thanks in advance for at least viewing my topic. I just purchased a 1985 swb c10. This truck needs a lot of TLC. Anyhow the instrument panel lights do not light up nor does my dome light. One thing though is the light next to the a/c control panel does light up.

I did replace the dome light bulb as well as couple of the dash lights. But still no lights.

Has anybody encountered such a problem?

I am not a mechanic I only play one on tv. I have replaced a fuse but It did not do anything. Any help or advice would be great.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 1985 c10 instrument panel lights not working
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
Check your connections at the headlight dimmer switch. Turn the knob all the way
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »
The fuse you replaced, was it in need of replacing? If so, has the new one blown? Bad grounds are sometimes the issue. There are a few ground wires that are connected to the parking brake bracket, above the pivot point of the parking brake pedal. Two of your best friends for wiring are a current tester and a wiring schematic. Go to the Technical section of this forum and you can view and save all the wiring diagrams.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:33:28 AM »
when i swapped out my head light switch, not the dimmer its in the steering column. but i lost my floor lights and cab light i bet your like vile said is bad or lose
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline droe71

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the help. I will mess with it this weekend and hopefully I can get somewhere with it.