Author Topic: 79 Custom deluxe gas gauge issue  (Read 2284 times)

Offline jhmac

79 Custom deluxe gas gauge issue
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »
Hi all
Need some help here. I recently purchased a 1979 chevy c/d swb w/passenger side tank. the gas gauge does not register the fuel quantity in tank it just sits at 2 inches past full, I looked under truck to see if I could find the problem and noticed 2 wires coming from top of tank, 1 was the ground and the other was about 18 inches long and looked to be cut or broke, for the life of me I can not find the second half of the wire that goes from the gauge cluster to the tank can some one help me here.  I need the routing of this wire so I can trace the wire and find the other end of it or just replace it completely. Thank you for your help...

Jhmac 

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 79 Custom deluxe gas gauge issue
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »
There should be a ground (black) and the sending wire (brown)

Offline jhmac

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:36:47 PM »
Yep found the ground ( black ) and the sending wire (brown) but the wire is broken and can only find about 18 inches of the brown wire. It is connected to the sending unit and runs down the frame and then it is broken right there and I don't see the rest of the wire. I need to know if it runs from the fire wall and runs down the frame or does it come from inside the cab and exits to the frame.   Any help would be very appreciated...

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
from the fuseblock on the firewall across to the starter wiring bundle and down the passenger framerail.

Offline jhmac

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:20:24 AM »
Thanks found it, repaired the break and all is well again...