Author Topic: vortec and oil gauge  (Read 4502 times)

Offline TexasRed

vortec and oil gauge
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:18:55 AM »
I'm doing a 383 on a vortec block and I'm trying to figure out how to get the oil pressure gauge sending unit in there. It's normally 1/8th NPT right? The hole looks to be about maybe 1/16 NPT but it's not threaded.. . . This is at the surface of the intake manifold where's there's a cut to allow for this to be there. Obviously a picture would help, I'll take one tomorrow if no one can help. I guess I need to go to HF to get a tap&die set? I'm going to try to take the setup off the 305 tomorrow. Texas heat ain't no fun.

Offline TexasRed

Re: vortec and oil gauge
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »

That there's the hole. I'll get me a 11/32 bit and then tap the hole for 1/8th NPT.

That's the hole and a picture of the sending unit. You can tell that they're 2 different sizes.

I did pull the sending unit and the elbow off the truck today. Lot easier without the distributor and carb to get in the way.  :D

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:05:21 PM »
You will get metal shavings in your oil passages if you tap it.

What is the gold piece in the hole? It looks like something broke off in it, like a oil pressure sending unit....but I dont know much about Vortec blocks.

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
I think it's just the way the light shines. It appears to me to be one piece with the block, like maybe the factory was supposed to tap it and didn't because they use the port near the oil filter. I dunno. I know I'll get metal shavings, but I have to do something. I can always drain the oil after the operation. I get oil pouring out of there when I spin the priming tool by hand so I think that should get most of the shavings. Or I could shove a piece of rubber there to keep it from falling too far and then pump the oil up and it would push the rubber/plastic up?

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
Well something isnt right. Is it a used block? Can you use the other port by the filter instead? I might want to call GM and see what they say.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
Looks like someone broke the brass tee off in the block.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
Looks like someone broke the brass tee off in the block.

thats what Im saying. I think he should try to use a extractor and see if it will come out. It wont take much to know whether it will come out or not.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:26 PM »
Yeah the brass fitting is broken off inside
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
Northern Tool is open in the morning, I'll grab me a screw extractor set and get it out.

As an aside: This is why pictures are important. If I'd tried describing it, I wouldn't have gotten this far or this much help. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:18:42 PM by TexasRed »

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
Glad we could help!