Author Topic: lift ??  (Read 3259 times)

Offline dirtmod0

lift ??
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:40:07 PM »
I have just almost finished up my 4 inch lift on my 80 k10 shortbed and have a couple of questions.
First is how long should my rear shaft be? I just want to make sure it isnt gonna come out,looks like it is really far out(350 turbo,205 case)
Second is my front brake line extension brackets- how do these dang things mount? it has and flat stock with a bend in the middle with one hole for the hose and the other for a bolt. Could someone if a pic or someting

Oh one more question how do get the steering arm off??!! not coming off the knuckle or the joint end..

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: lift ??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:28:55 AM »
You need to heat the steering arm and wail the crap out of the sides with a 5 lbs. hammer
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »
what happened to your old shaft or you swap out tranys also?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »
I thought that you could get away with using the original driveshaft for a 4in lift. Just install new u-joints.
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline dirtmod0

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:07:39 AM »
i just want ot make sure that its long enough the guy I bought it from is well a retard and not sure what all he screwed up

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
your good up intill 6" lift then you want to look for longer shafts. can you see any wear marks on the old shaft you could use them. cant help on the extentions i use the longer break lines. just a thought but if you jack the rear of the truck by the frame and the shaft still is sitting in then you should be good since the axle will never fall any farther than that
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline dirtmod0

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:54:12 AM »
I was thinking that as well right after I hit the enter button,DUH. I hope everything is gonna work alright. I did find a good place for the hose mounting.
Thanks for your advice