Author Topic: Upgrading bench seat in Suburban  (Read 3282 times)

Offline youngcc

Upgrading bench seat in Suburban
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
I have a 84 GMC Suburban C1500 6.2l diesel and I am looking for ideas for the front seat. I would like to upgrade to a more modern bench seat with head rests. Are there any seats with the seat belts incorporated into the seat itself?

Offline Jason S

Re: Upgrading bench seat in Suburban
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »
Many of the early to mid 2000's Chevrolet/GMC extended cab pickup truck front seats have headrests, 40/20/40 seats that have the shoulder seat belts incorporated into the seats. You might take a look at the 1999 to 2006 Chevy/GMC trucks to see if that is what you're looking for in seats.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline youngcc

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
Thanks I'll check those out next time I am at the junk yard.

Offline youngcc

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
If I have the original seat bracket will it work on the newer seat or will I have to modify the bracket?

Offline blazing816

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:46 AM »
You will mostly likely have to do a custom bracket, especially if you are using a 40/20/40 because the stock bracket is one piece and bolts to the seat on the other end, there in turn would not be spots for all the mounts. Also if you use a seat with incorporated seat belts (belts are attached to seat) if you do not have a death wish, you will want to reinforce the floor where the seats bolt down. Our floors were not made to have that kind of of strength for when you get into an accident that it would not bend or buckle and you would be through the dash.

I know the seat I choose for my one project is a seat out of an early 90s ford (yes I know I should be struck down....lol) because it was a one piece bench with a center arm rest that folded up and down and it had high back (I'm 6'2" so it may actually stop my head from going through back window). Because it was a solid bench all I had to do is switch the ford brackets for Chevy ones off my old seat. I have not put it in yet but I think the holes in the floor ill line up too (same size seat) if not I just have to move the bolts in the floor which is super easy.

If you do not mind building brackets, then the early 90s Chevy (as long as it did not have the trick 3rd door) would work. The seats belts are not in the seat and they were a 40/60 split so you could move the driver seat separate from the passenger (some were even power driver).
-----------------------------
1988 Chevy R20 Scottsdale Crew Cab (350/TH400/4.56)