Author Topic: 73-80 to 81-87 Frontend conversion by Monzter  (Read 39797 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
73-80 to 81-87 Frontend conversion by Monzter
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »
Well I just swapped my 73 Suburbans clip out for a front clip of a 86 Chevy truck. I thought that some people might like to what it takes to do this, everything I found on line did not show what it takes so I took pictures of my swap.

The unsuspecting Suburban.

The 73 front clip pulled off.

The plastic screen, weather strip & wiper mechanisms need to be removed now.

Now time to mark out where the cutting for new hood hinge holes & bolts need to be.

Here's where I had to add metal for the hood hinges, I added some support also, it seemed a little flimsy without it.

Test fitting the hinges.

With rubber.

Now it's time to drill holes for the wiper mechanisms, plastic screen & cowl. I forgot to take pictures of the drivers side wiper mechanism hole, it had to be enlarged to fit the longer mechanism.

After hoes drilled in the right spots I installed the cowl.

Next is to put the clip on.

Here you can see where I had to enlarge some of the holes to get the clip lined up.

Now the fenders are shimmed & bolted down.

Next is the hood. I drilled a hole in the firewall & used a new hood release cable to be able to open the hood.

The front body mounts had to be cut off & welded on in the right place along with cutting the frame for the bumper.

Drilling holes for bumper.

Ta Da! It's all on.

Next is to wire up the headlights & turn signals. I kept the wiring harness from the old clip top do this, the bulkhead connector is way different & wires will need to be spliced. I did no get pictures of this, it's not that hard to do though if you can do this clip swap.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 73-80 to 81-87 Frontend conversion by Monzter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:09:57 PM »
Hinge location/size detail:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:13:36 PM by Captkaos »