Author Topic: aftermarket fuel pump  (Read 3119 times)

Offline 87burb4x4

aftermarket fuel pump
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
My truck (87 suburban listed below) is 100% stock as far as the engine goes. I've been told that fuel psi on my truck should be 8-13. I've heard some say that they have seen trucks with 9 psi not run well. And another said that he recommends 17 psi. How much pressure can I safely put on a stock 350 tbi? And if I go with a performance fuel pump, should I get something like the CFM adjustable pressure kit for my tbi? To my knowledge, new OEM fuel pumps aren't reliable as to what pressure you will end up with. I'm getting 10 out of mine now. So I don't want to buy a new pump and get the same. Seems to me, the logical choice would be to find a pump that is around 20-25 psi and then regulate it down to what I want... am I wrong?
87 4x4 v10 Suburban
350 tbi
3" lift w/ 33x12.50xr15 tires

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
Re: aftermarket fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
Pressure is not necessarily controlled by pump rather by regulator in the tbi.That being said if pump is not up to it the pressure could be low.Specs call for 9-13 psi.I install a gauge and check pressure at idle and then in gear snap the throttle to watch for pressure drop

Offline 87burb4x4

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
I checked pressure at the fuel filter yesterday and got 10 psi at an idle and 9 when on the throttle. It's within specs, but I have heard some people say that their engines were doggish at 9 psi. Other's have told me that 17 is optimum. I just don't want to put too much pressure on the tbi. I can't regulate the pressure through the tbi without installing a regulator. But I know that I am getting no more than 10 psi because my pump is only pushing 10. That's why I thought about going with a higher psi rated pump and installing the CFM regulator and dropping it down where I want it. Just didn't know if someone knows something I don't that would make this not work.
87 4x4 v10 Suburban
350 tbi

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
Most every truck I've checked has been right at 12 psi at idle or on the pedal.I look for a pressure drop to indicate a problem.Also to see if pressure holds after key off.If it drops fast there is a leak somewhere.I have found the hose between the pump and sender unit deteriate.Also fyi,Suburbans in those years had problems in the tank.The sump would break loose and shift around.Would be hard to imagine yours not being repaired with updated tank somewhere down the line

Offline 87burb4x4

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
There was no pressure drop off when I killed it. And I'm not sure if my tank has been replaced or not. If/when I drop it I will check it thoroughly and blow out the lines
87 4x4 v10 Suburban
350 tbi

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
Yea there where tuff to figure out at first.If you got on the gas hard or braked hard the plastic sump would shift and push the pump over.By the time the wrecker hauled it in it would shift back and start working again.If you get in there checked that its secured to the bottom of the tank