Author Topic: Do chevy inlines have a reputation for sticking valves?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Do chevy inlines have a reputation for sticking valves?
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »
Hi everyone.  I just bought a chevy 292 inline yesterday from the local boneyard for 50 bucks.  It is complete from carb to pan and with all of the accessories still on it.  It had a flywheel on it, but thats been removed now and I have two toes shattered in 9 places to prove it.  I went back outside and puled the valve cover to get ready for cleaning and some new gaskets.  I found that two rockers had slipped off of their valves and pushrods.  Turns out the valves were stuck open.  I pulled the head and found the valves to both be exhausts, on two and four to be precise, and they were still intact.  The pistons had minor scuffing from kissing the valves but they are still fine.  Now I am not going to waste time with valves that hit pistons.  Bought six new exhaust valves for the head and buying intakes next week.  My question is, are valve issues something to watch for on these inline engines?  It is fine if they are but I also know that most inlines are pretty durable and I would rather spend the money now to fix any design flaws within reason than to have to admit to the addage of, "Do it right or do it again... thanks dad."

Offline Marc

Re: Do chevy inlines have a reputation for sticking valves?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
Not that I ever recall hearing.  I would be more inclined to believe the engine sat a while, someone tried to start it, and the valves stuck at that time.  I had a International slant-4 that had sat in a garage for 15 years do the same thing.  292's were very popular (and still are to an extent) for fishing boats because of their durability and ease of maintenance.  Until the past number of years the Chevy dealer used to stock them for replacements for the boats. 

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »
I have one sitting in my garage right now.  I would assume it was a symptom of it being stuck and someone trying to crank it also.  I have 2 250's, one that will still run also.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
Kinda what I was thinking. I just got the head all torn down today and was careful to grind down the burrs on the valves and their stems before removal.  So at least I have a good head core to build from... provided it passes the mag check tomorrow.  Second question I have is, what is involved in dropping the 292 in place of a 350 v8?  I know the flexplate is different.  Got a real good look at the flywheel while rollin in the gravel with my busted foot.  Also looked like the donor truck used SBC clamshell type frame mounts. Just wanting to check dimension wise.  I know the 250 L6's will direct swap which was what I assumed this was, but it is not so I am chacking before I dive into something without proper research.