Author Topic: Which direction is best?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline moregrip

Which direction is best?
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »
As I'm going through my 83 base model truck, there are some future electrical needs I'd like to account for. They include:

1. Power windows/PDL's
2. Column mounted window wipers/Cruise Control
3. various engine sensors in the event I go EFI (initially will be carb)
4. Upgraded Stereo system
5. Aftermarket A/C

So my question is, what's the best way to get all these features? Am I looking at buying a new harness? If so, which one? Is the stock harness capable of supporting the additional circuits?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:42:56 PM by moregrip »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Which direction is best?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »
i would try and find a donor tbi truck with elec doors and all that crap. might be able to snag one cheap if its rusty and doors are in ok shape. even if the doors are rusty you might be able to swap parts with yours (but wait till someone else confirms this) get the motor and maybe trans if you need /want it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline moregrip

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
i would try and find a donor tbi truck with elec doors and all that crap. might be able to snag one cheap if its rusty and doors are in ok shape. even if the doors are rusty you might be able to swap parts with yours (but wait till someone else confirms this) get the motor and maybe trans if you need /want it
I see a lot(relative) of 87-91 suburbans in the junkyard but not many trucks, I'll keep my eyes peeled! I would think these upgrades are somewhat common.....but maybe not so common starting with a base model and associated minimal wiring.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
I see a lot(relative) of 87-91 suburbans in the junkyard but not many trucks, I'll keep my eyes peeled! I would think these upgrades are somewhat common.....but maybe not so common starting with a base model and associated minimal wiring.
The burb stuff should all interchange

And it will probably be a lot cheaper to buy a compete donor vehicle than scrounging parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline moregrip

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:18:04 AM »
The burb stuff should all interchange

And it will probably be a lot cheaper to buy a compete donor vehicle than scrounging parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have room for another donor truck! Wish I did! these rebuilds would be much easier!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »
sometimes a junkyard will let you pay for the truck there and you can take all the parts you want off then sell it back to them.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline moregrip

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »
sometimes a junkyard will let you pay for the truck there and you can take all the parts you want off then sell it back to them.

I had no idea, thanks for the info brother!