Author Topic: Windows quit working after re-installing air conditioning duct under dash - 1987 Silverado  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

Windows quit working after re-installing air conditioning duct under dash - 1987 Silverado

Here's a picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I didn't see a fuse for electric windows?

Is there something under the dash I could have damaged or loosened when putting that plastic air conditioning duct back into place?

Both windows worked before, now neither work.

Truck is at the shop, will be taking a look under the dash tomorrow - thought I'd check with you guys first.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Check the ground connections above the parking brake mechanism. Check the pink wire and make sure it's plugged into the fuse block. Check to ensure you didn't disconnect the connector for the drivers side pw/pl harness.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike Phillips

Thanks!

Will check today.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Mike, on a side note, is there any particular reason your fuse capacities are mismatched to the fuse box?  Bear in mind that oversizing a fuse can damage the connected wiring and result in an electrical fire.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Mike Phillips

Check the ground connections above the parking brake mechanism. Check the pink wire and make sure it's plugged into the fuse block.

Check to ensure you didn't disconnect the connector for the drivers side pw/pl harness.

So far can't see anything not connected.  Might have to remove the air conditioning duct to fully inspect.

Hurricane on the way, need to get the window up.  If we get hit and get flooded I'll have one of the few trucks on the road that can drive through high water.

Offline Mike Phillips

Mike, on a side note, is there any particular reason your fuse capacities are mismatched to the fuse box? 

Bear in mind that oversizing a fuse can damage the connected wiring and result in an electrical fire.

I'm sad to say I bought this truck, didn't build it which I prefer.

Whatever fuses are in the fuse block were there when I bought it and I never paid attention until I took the picture you see posted in this thread.  Everything works, or at least everything did work until I replaced the master cylinder and power brake booster.  Part of replacing these items was removing the air conditioning ductwork and after re-installing it now the windows don't work.

I have time this Thursday after work to tear into it again...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
There is a grounding bus above the parking brake mech, make sure you check it. Good luck with the storm.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike Phillips

There is a grounding bus above the parking brake mech, make sure you check it. Good luck with the storm.

Yes, I saw that.  Hard to contort the human body in a way to look up under the dash.  Will double check tomorrow night.  I have a car detailing project tonight that starts at 5:00pm and goes to around 9:00pm.

Offline Mike Phillips

Air cond duct is out

Offline blazer74

Without looking at a diagram Is there not a circuit breaker in the window circuit?

Offline Mike Phillips

Fixed.

It was a loose wire.

Winders are up!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:00:35 AM by Mike Phillips »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Which wire?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike Phillips

Which wire?

It was a white wire up under the dash.  I should have taken a picture but I was trying to get her fixed, put back together and call it a night.

If I ever take it apart again I'll take a picture for the forum.