Author Topic: Differential vent  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Bucks87silver

Differential vent
« on: February 21, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »
I have an 87 1/2ton 4x4 Silverado and the vent tube from the rear end that attaches to the rubber hose on the bottom of the bed has rotted off. I can't really recognize what the fitting into the housing is supposed to look like. I cleaned it out with a wire and it's now clear but there isn't anything sticking up to attach a new rubber hose to. I never off road and wondering how important it is to reattach a new vent hose?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Differential vent
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
VERY IMPORTANT!.  There should be just a barb nipple sticking up from the diff that the hose would slip over.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Bucks87silver

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »
Thanks roundline. The barb is rotted off. Can I still get this part from a dealer or do you have a suggestion. It's difficult to see how it even comes out as it appears round. Any pics of what it is supposed to look like or a link to the part??

Offline Gutter Runner

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Get a easy-out and remove whats left of it. If you can get it out and the threads are still good, find a threaded barbed hose fitting that will fit. Otherwise drill it out and tap it to fit a new one. If you do drill and tap, make sure you remove your diff cover and catch all the shavings with a rag so they're not floatin around in your gear lube!:lol  

Offline Bucks87silver

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
Thanks, Gutter Runner. I'll try the easy out first. After googling for awhile I finally saw some breather kits and seen what the fitting is. Just hard to recognize when there's nothing much left to look at......haha.

Offline Gutter Runner

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
Let us know how you do:smokin  

Offline Bucks87silver

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
Finally got-r-done. After a can of wd40 and some heat I was able to remove the rotted barb fitting with vice grips. Really strange that the fitting seemed to be some sort of self tapping deal with few threads. I couldn't find a brass or nylon barb that would fit so I just made my own and it threaded in well enough to fit tight. For some assurance I smeared some JD weld around it to prevent any moister leaks and clamped on a new hose and attached to the bottom of the bed. Thanks for the tips all.