Author Topic: THE BASICS: PULLEYS  (Read 10218 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

THE BASICS: PULLEYS
« on: May 28, 2007, 09:04:40 AM »
Alright, let's forget about all that 8cyl to 4 stuff and all that hotrodding stuff;  I am going to put the pickup back in operation;  It runs pretty much ok, but i accidently let the tags expire so it's been sitting for a few months, "sort of."  Plus the fact that i was really busy working 2 jobs and i really didn't have the money because, i feel, that i needed to set up the plug wires where they wouldn't be too close to the exhaust manifolds or each other.

You may or may not know that i had the engine out of the truck and put in a 305 AND THEN A FEW DAYS LATER put the 350 back in.  This was last summer.  And this was due to total and complete ignorance;  What had happened was i got complete dual exhaust and there was white cloudy smoke coming out of the right side pipe only.  It turned out that the vacuum modulator thing on the trans was leaking and allowing trans fluid into the engine where it was burnt up----hence the white, puffy smoke.  But i didn't know that at the time so i swapped engines only to have the same results with the 305.  Then i took the right head off the 350 thinking the head gasket was bad---it wasn't.  By the way the engine looked real clean.

It was freaky; I ran the engine on the stand-no problems.  Put it back in the truck and "it" started smoking again on the right side.

If you look at a quadrajet manifold, the fitting for the vaccum signal to the vac modulator on the transmission is on the right side/passenger side near ports for cyls 6 and 8----thus explaining why the smoke was only coming out the right side pipe.

ANYWAYSin swapping the motors (twice!!!) i, of course, had to take the waterpump pulley off.  And i think in doing so, i may have slightly warped the edges of it or something because now it squeaks LIKE heck.

What i did was to use those rubber, strap-type "wrenches" to hold the pulley still while i undid the 4 nuts off of the pump flange.

This sucker squeaks BAD.  I've got flowmaster 40's on and you can hear the squeaking WAY ABOVE THAT.

Now, first off:
1) Is there a way to fix this?   I have used some of the belt spray that you can get at the parts store but it doesn't really completely solve the problem.

2) i realize that i may have to buy another pulley which is not a big deal.  But, if so what is the best/correct way to remove/install a water pump pulley?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 08:18:40 PM by Captkaos »

Re: THE BASICS: PULLEYS
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
I wanted to bother you again with this topic because i know that someone has got to know about it.

Yes, i'm really going to put the truck back in operation!

Offline 75 C20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:48:12 PM »
i dont know for sure but i would try a new belt 1st
1975 Custom Deluxe 20 350 SM465 2WD Longbed
1979 Custom Deluxe 20 400 SM465 2WD Longbed
1968 Custom Sport Truck 20 327 TH400 2WD Longbed
1985 Silverado 10 305 700R4 2WD Longbed
1969 Pontiac GTO 400 Turbo350
2008 GMC 2500HD 6.0 6spd 4X4 Longbed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »
The pulley just rests on the pilot and over the studs. Remove the belt and make sure it's fully seated and runs concentric. If it does just replace the belt.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
To answer the question about how to remove the pulley. Loosen the nuts on the water pump pulley before you loosen any belts. The belts should hold it in place.

1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
You shouldn't have to remove your radiator or anything, unless you have  a shroud in place, to remove your four nuts to remove the pulley.

Just take it off and lay it on a straight, flat surface to see if it is indeed warped. I don't know why it would squeak.  Go to the trusty old salvage yard and get another, or , place a request in the "parts wanted" section of this forum, i am sure some of us have many old spare parts laying around.

Are you sure the bearings in the water pump aren't shot?  Will the fan turn freely without squeaking when you take the belt off?

If you want the remove the nuts without the pulley turning, just do what i do, put a long screw driver between two of the bolt studs and hold it there...should keep the pump from turning while you remove one nut at a time, then change up where the screwdriver is.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
The water pump is brand new.  Do you think this might be causing it?

And i forgot to post that i will check the tightness of all belts;  I had to remove the P/S pump to set the timing.

Offline cruppert77

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »
Were all of the accessories on it when you took it out? Could be an alignment problem. Did you change any of the ps, alt brackets?

Offline 78BBSTEPSIDE

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »
I have seen rebuilt water pumps where the shaft is not pressed correctly causing alignment issues with the pulleys which can cause the squealing. Just a thought.

Offline dumbucket1

• Too Many Trucks
  • Coal Hauler
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 03:03:45 AM »
first off do you have enough tension on the belts? loose belts squeak quite a bit. I've bent many pully and never had them squeak from being bent.
Chevy and GMC trucks ranging from 1973 to 2007

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 08:46:58 AM »
OK, it turns out that the power steering belt (P/S to crank only belt, not the crank, P/S, A/C belt) is loose.  I don't know how i missed that.

Anyways, does anyone have a diagram of the power steering pump because i can't get it to move.  I think there are 4 bolts?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »
There is a slot on the front where it bolts to the water pump and one on the back of the power steering bracket.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 09:34:32 AM »
Yeah i missed the one on the back.  i got it to move now.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »
Ok, it turns out that the belt looseness was not the problem.

Basically what is happening is when i first start it up, it will squeak.  This is not a rhythimic chirping;  This a continuous screech like if you could imagine a blackboard about a quarter mile long and someone is dragging their nails across it or something.

Then after about a minute or two it will stop.  And it doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold or not;  I could shut it off after 1/2 drive, immediately start it up again and it will do the same thing----for about a minute or so.

Again, the water pump is a new Bosch unit but everything else is the same since i got the truck.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:12:57 AM by Captkaos »

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »
Is it connected to engine rpm? In other words, if the engine revs up, does the noise get higher? 

Possible alternator bearings?  I'd start by taking belts off and manually spin some of these things, like the ps pump, alt, H2O pump, etc...