Author Topic: cam swap question  (Read 3237 times)

Offline 355shortbed

cam swap question
« on: April 09, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
i want to swap out my stock cam out of small block for a new one i have laying around. its max lift is 450, came with new lifters and springs. queston is what all should or need i check before starting the install, like spring wise can i just put the new springs in and go with it, or need i check installed height and so on?

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
Re: cam swap question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »
The big deal is seat pressure at installed height. Too little and you get valve float and too much increases wear (lesser of the 2 evils) If you know what the grind # of the cam is you can find out the recommended springs and even what the specs are so you compare those to the ones you have. Any engine shop should be able to measure seat pressure for you.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:23 PM »
Since they are new springs assuming matched for the cam you don't need to have them pressure tested just set the installed height. You can probably get away with the existing springs in place but if you really want it to work right pull the heads and put some decent ones on there.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 355shortbed

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
Yea the springs came matched with the kit, how do I go about checking installed height, just as the name implies, install them and take a set of vernier calipers and measure from top of spring to bottom?, and should I worry about degreeing the cam or can I just install straigh up and roll with it???? Thanx guys

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
Degreeing the cam is always a good idea but not required. To measure the installed height insert a caliper between the retainer and spring pocket with the valve fully seated and the spring NOT installed. Compare it to spec and add/remove the correct shim. Once you have the correct measurement install them with the spring. I wouldn't even bother changing the springs with that cam until you are ready to tear into the heads.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
Shortbed, Is this a new cam, flat tappet hydraulic?

Offline 355shortbed

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
yea a new crane energizer, the stock valve springs are worn out and i redid the heads not just 5,000 miles ago for a build that went south. i would have put the cam in then but was in a time crunch and just put the heads i did on the orginal motor because i was in a time crunch with nothing to drive and didnt want to worry about if the cam messed up , the motor has 123,000 original miles. should i even worry about swaping it out? im just doing it for kicks. i have a 327 im working on but im probly going with a big cam for that one. so like i said this cam is just lying around

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »
Why not sell it and get some extra money for the 327 rebuild then?